Lucero review by Lucero

• Released: May 22, 2001
Lucero: Lucero

Lucero. It's really hard to speak about a band that so many have yet to discover. The band itself is very popular in the south. And you can really tell this in their music. It is a very home oriented recording. While they would usually fall under the category of rock, you can't really say this about Lucero. You should really label this as alternative country-rock. In fact it is pretty close if not actually Southern Rock. It was once described to me by a friend as "Drunken depressed 'cause you just broke up with your girlfriend music." The album itself has a real rustic sound. It is bittersweet, reflective, and melancholy all rolled into one.

There may be four songs on this album that actually stand out among the rest for their lyrics. The first would have to be Drink 'Till We're Gone. This song really captures what life is like on and around the Mississippi River. Also the song title really says it all once you here the song. There is also the track My Best Girl. The song starts off saying: "Well I'm a sucker for some pretty eyes; but they're going home with some other boy tonight". Right away you feel like it is just a sappy love song, but come to find out that it is not even about an actual girl but a guitar. There is the song It Gets The Worst At Night, which might just be the sappy love song on the album but is very well written and tells a story in itself. Wasted is the melancholy track on the album. In all the lyrics go well with the music as a whole. You really get the feel for the music with the singers voice as well. The voice is the rustic piece of the puzzle.

In my opinion this is Lucero's best album. The most impressive tracks would have to be Drink 'Till We're Gone, It Gets The Worst At Night, All Sewn Up, and My Best Girl. If you have yet to listen to Lucero and are thinking about buying an album of theirs, than I suggest you get this, which was their very first release back in 2001. And to any fans who don't have this album you should get it.