I'll Wake You In The Morning Review

Lucia Lie: I'll Wake You In The Morning
Release Date: Mar 13, 2003
Label: Convergence Records
Genres: Rock
Their specific breed of slow sad melodic rock seemed to be meant only for the stage until they recently teemed up with Presto!
 9.2
 8.3
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
I'll Wake You In The Morning Reviewed by: GrungeBeatle, on january 18, 2006

Sound: What in my opinion makes the band unique is the extremely dark mood with almost hopeful lyrics. A large component of the bands sound is cellist Lorena Ruiz. Her playing is almost paradoxal, always sounding a little off if u listen hard enough but blending with the mood of the song perfectly and complimenting bassist Steven Yonkin. I first heard Lucia Lie after opening for them in a small club in Connecticut and was pulled in by the absolute sincerity and rawness of the band. None of this is lost on the recordings. // 8

Lyrics: Rob Connelly knows how to absolutely drip a song in emotion without coming off as oversensitive or whiny. The lyrics match the mood of each song perfectly and I can only compare it to that of Kurt Cobain on songs like All Apologies and You Know Your Right. Connelly's voice does an amazing job in conveying the message of each song perfectly. The best examples of the lyrical genious is on songs like Car Crash, Lauren, Night On The Move. // 9

Overall Impression: It is hard to compare this band's sound to any contemporary acts, and even some that have passed. The best comparison I can make is maybe to a slightly less drugged version of Nirvana's Unplugged. The most impressive song on this album has to be For Love Of The Bomb (O Holy Night) in which Connely and Ruiz combine thier own political songs with a Christmas favorite. Nothing goofy like NOFX, but absolutely powerful. If this album were stolen or lost I would definately replace it. // 8

Comments