Commitment review by Lucky Boys Confusion

• Released: Oct 21, 2003
Lucky Boys Confusion: Commitment

In their latest album "Commitment" Lucky Boys Confusion continues to show their ability to span many genres of music. The album begins with a very "Sublime" sounding intro, then kicks right into the high energy "Hey Driver". With a catchy chorus and addicting sound, it is almost impossible not to enjoy this song. Next LBC shows gives their fans a little bit of the "hardcore" side of the LBC sound with "Broken". In just the first three songs of the album, the band spans three very different styles of music, only to add to the list as the CD continues. From the meaningful lyrics of "Mr. Wilmington" (sung to a parent of someone who just commited suicide) to the pop-punk "Beware". When trying to attach a singly "style" or "sound" to this album, I had some serious problem trying to find the appropriate words to describe it. Stuby (lead vocals) has called their sound "power-pop", all I can say about the style of the album is that they do a great job of changing the style throughout the album, never having two songs back to back that sound even remotely alike.....this is not an album that you will get bored of and need to turn on something else just to hear "something else".

The first thing that you will notice when listening to this album is that Lucky Boys Confusion seemed to make a consious effort to show off Stuby's voice in this album. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I think that depends on who you ask... I personally like his voice, but I also know alot of people that think that is the biggest downfall of the band. But from previous releases, the songwriting and "voice" of stuby has greatly improved. The band as a whole has grown alot, getting away from the "party band" they once were when they played most if not all their shows in the Chicagoland area, to a more serious band, singing songs about serious topics and what life is like on the road. However, if you are looking for an album that the lyrics are going to move you, or make you cry... look elsewere. Not to say the lyrics are not very good, because they are, but they are not going to make you say "Wow". I can guarantee that you will relate to the lyrics though... especially if you grew up in/are growing up in the suburbs of a city. Especially if you venture into some of LBC's older songs from other albums.

Like I said before, you will not turn this album off once it is playing in your stereo. The band does an excellent job of keeping listeners on their toes with new sounds. The sound of the band has matured greatly since their last release, and it seems that they are really finding their place in the music world. If I were to compare this album to others, it could be compared to anything from "Sublime" and "Long Beach Dub Allstars" to "Blink 182" or "Simple Plan". I truly think that there is at least one song for every type of music lover out there on this album. When I first got the CD, it spent about a week in my CD player of constant playing.... It just never would bore me. Thats why I would recomend it to anyone out there, I think that everyone should give their music a try, you wont be dissapointed.