Commitment Review

artist: Lucky Boys Confusion date: 06/14/2004 category: compact discs
Lucky Boys Confusion: Commitment
Released: Oct 21, 2003
Genre: Rock
Tones: Exuberant, Rowdy, Rousing, Freewheeling, Fun, Energetic, Irreverent, Slick, Swagger
Styles: Adult Alternative Pop/Rock, Punk-Pop
 9.2
 9.3
reviews (2) user comments vote for this album:
Commitment Reviewed by: bad_karma, on january 15, 2004

Sound: In their latest album "Commitment" Lucky Boys Confusion continues to show their ability to span many genres of music. The album begins with a very "Sublime" sounding intro, then kicks right into the high energy "Hey Driver". With a catchy chorus and addicting sound, it is almost impossible not to enjoy this song. Next LBC shows gives their fans a little bit of the "hardcore" side of the LBC sound with "Broken". In just the first three songs of the album, the band spans three very different styles of music, only to add to the list as the CD continues. From the meaningful lyrics of "Mr. Wilmington" (sung to a parent of someone who just commited suicide) to the pop-punk "Beware". When trying to attach a singly "style" or "sound" to this album, I had some serious problem trying to find the appropriate words to describe it. Stuby (lead vocals) has called their sound "power-pop", all I can say about the style of the album is that they do a great job of changing the style throughout the album, never having two songs back to back that sound even remotely alike.....this is not an album that you will get bored of and need to turn on something else just to hear "something else". // 10

Lyrics: The first thing that you will notice when listening to this album is that Lucky Boys Confusion seemed to make a consious effort to show off Stuby's voice in this album. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I think that depends on who you ask... I personally like his voice, but I also know alot of people that think that is the biggest downfall of the band. But from previous releases, the songwriting and "voice" of stuby has greatly improved. The band as a whole has grown alot, getting away from the "party band" they once were when they played most if not all their shows in the Chicagoland area, to a more serious band, singing songs about serious topics and what life is like on the road. However, if you are looking for an album that the lyrics are going to move you, or make you cry... look elsewere. Not to say the lyrics are not very good, because they are, but they are not going to make you say "Wow". I can guarantee that you will relate to the lyrics though... especially if you grew up in/are growing up in the suburbs of a city. Especially if you venture into some of LBC's older songs from other albums. // 8

Overall Impression: Like I said before, you will not turn this album off once it is playing in your stereo. The band does an excellent job of keeping listeners on their toes with new sounds. The sound of the band has matured greatly since their last release, and it seems that they are really finding their place in the music world. If I were to compare this album to others, it could be compared to anything from "Sublime" and "Long Beach Dub Allstars" to "Blink 182" or "Simple Plan". I truly think that there is at least one song for every type of music lover out there on this album. When I first got the CD, it spent about a week in my CD player of constant playing.... It just never would bore me. Thats why I would recomend it to anyone out there, I think that everyone should give their music a try, you wont be dissapointed. // 10

Commitment Reviewed by: guitarplayer04, on june 14, 2004

Sound: Lucky Boys Confusion did a great job mixing up the tempoes of the tracks on this CD. They used many different voices which added a special touch to it that other bands cant get with one lead singer. The guitars make the CD with their great ability to take two guitars and make them sound as one. The sound leaves you wanting more after you finish listening through the CD. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are extremely impressive and they have very important messages hidden among them. The singers used on this CD have very good voices and they can do things with more than one singer that other bands cannot. If a young singer was looking for a great singer to model after I think that any of the singers on this CD would be a great choice. The lyrics go very well with the tempo of the music and have many different styles. // 10

Overall Impression: This is definately the most impressive CD I have ever bought. Some of the great songs are "Hey Driver", "Atari", "Commitment" and "Ordinary". There are many more good songs on this CD, but the above songs are my favorite ones. I absulutely love the lyrics on this CD, they can mean many things to each individual person that listens to it. The lyrics are also very catchy. Honestly I really dont have anything i hate about this CD. If this CD was lost I would definately go buy it again and copy the tracks to my computer. This CD was definately worth the fifteen dollars or whatever I spent for it. I would reccomend this CD to anyone that likes a good mix of punk rock and rock. // 10

Comments