You're Awful, I Love You review by Ludo

• Released: Feb 26, 2008
Ludo: You're Awful, I Love You

I just recently found out about Ludo, the St. Louis based rock band and I have to say, I was quite impressed. The first song of theirs I heard was there first single off of the album "Love Me Dead". They created the playlist on MTV hits and I fell in love with the singer, Andrew Volpe's voice. It kind of gave me the whole theatre feel. So, it was enough convincing for me to pick up the album, which was conveniantly on sale at Best Buy for only 8 dollars. The album starts off with the first single "Love Me Dead" which has verbally ironic lyrics to make it a comical tune. the next song was kind of a "ho hum" for me and I skipped half way through. Then I got to the songs "Please" and "Topeka". "Please" being, personally one of my favorite songs on the CD but lacked good lyrics, "Topeka" also is one of my favorites just because at the beginning of the song, Volpe, changes his voice and sounds exactly like Justin Pierre of Motion City Soundtrack(or maybe it really was Justin) but continuing, "Lake Ponchatrain" is another one of the lyrically mastering songs that gave me a chuckle or two and is still very catchy. after "Lake Ponchatrain", none of the other songs struck me very catchy, they were just kind of bland, but by no means bad, just boring. "Streetlights" is probably the only other song on the second half of the album worth listening to. The CD does have a few guitar solos, but I wish that it had a few more. All in all, this CD is great, gets bland at moments but by no means a bad cd. They highly resemble Motion City Soundtrack with the moog added in the songs.

Some songs completely blew me away lyrically. Some blew lyrically. Volpe really shows his writing talents in the more upbeat funny songs such as "Topeka", "Love Me Dead", "Lake Ponchatrain", and "Go-getter Greg". Others such as "Please", "Such as it Ends", and "Drunken Lament" lack lyrically in my opinion but by far, the song that I wish was never on the CD is "The Horror of our Love" there is no lyrical talent what so ever in this song and makes me feel like I just listened to an hour of slitting-your-wrists-emo-music. Volpe, although, has an outstanding voice, one of the best voices in the genre in my opinion.

Overall, it's almost exactly like a Motion City Soundtrack CD but not quite, if you catch my drift. I have to say that my favorite song on the CD has to be "Please" even though it lacks lyrically. my least favorite is definately "The Horror of our Love" absolute hate. if someone stole this CD I probably wouldn't buy it again just because it was only 8 dollars and thanks to modern technology, I have iTunes.