The Absence review by Luna Mortis

• Released: Feb 10, 2009
Luna Mortis: The Absence

This is probably the catchiest album I have ever heard in my life. For a debut, this album kicks huge ass. Crushing riffs, brutal and soaring vocals, beautiful harmonies, and dead on precise drumming make this CD one of my favourites of 09. Now it was released way back in February but I just realized that UG never had a review up. Luna Mortis needs to be heard. They are a ground breaking mix of bands like Arch Enemy/Carcass meeting Nightwish/Lacuna Coil. When their frontwoman, yes woman, screams she is extremely reminiscent of Angela Gossow (Arch Enemy), and when singing has her own original tone. Boy does she have pipes, her work in this album skyrockets her to the top of my list of metal's best female musicians. Every song has its own thing going on, very exciting. Rarely ever a dull moment. Oh, forgot to mention, their lead guitarist can shred! About 4:30 into the last track, he buts out when of the best blazing licks I've ever heard soaring the song into a whole new direction.

This woman, Mary Zimmer, is unbelievably talented. Love her voice, love her sceams, love her growls, love her singing. Imagine Angela Gossow with the singing abilities of Anette from Nightwish. The lyrics are nothing out of the ordinary, fitting the songs well, they are usually about fantasy, rebellion, afterlife. But her voice, wow, leaves me speechless. Her skills are easily the highlight of the album with the shredding guitars close behind.

Quite an original album. Each song has its own thing going on and making them stand out from the rest. It has its heavy moments, its beautiful moments, and its epic moments. Everything you could ask for in a CD. I love everything about it, every song will leave you with a catchy chorus stuck in your head. Every song has this absolutely catchy moment. Pretty much every song is single quality. Get this album in some way, you will love it. I can't wait for their next release, if it is in anyway better or as good as this album, then wow. Wow.

CapnKickass
    Pretty good album, I like her vocals way more then Angela's. Just a better growl/scream altogether in my opinion.
    MaidenMan88
    Agreed. However, I'd like to point out one minor error. This wasn't exactly their debut album. Well, it was but it wasn't. This was their first album under the name "Luna Mortis", however, they also have a full-length(Way of the Blade) and an EP(The Answer: Does Not Exist) out under their old name "The Ottoman Empire". I have both and they're just as good as "The Absence" in my opinion. If you liked "The Absence", I'd recommend checking them out(especially the song "Affliction" off "The Answer: Does Not Exist"... that's the song that got me hooked on the band).
    Lohnanmilitia
    Yes, this band is quite awesome. A breath of fresh air really. Seen em live twice as Luna mortis and they definately kill! Every member of the band shines! Can't wait to see them again with epicurean and edguy in September!
    Gregray88
    Why did the users only give this a 4? It's an amazing album!!! Atleast a 9.
    Gregray88
    MaidenMan, i cant find that song, do you know where I can find it? I cant even find a torrent for the album.
    MaidenMan88
    Never mind... It doesn't work. The song is on Myspace though. Just search "Luna Mortis" under music and it should be first on the list.
    Amuro Jay
    Ah, man, I was planning on writing a review on this CD but I never got around to it. This album pretty much kicks ass. I really enjoyed it.
    xDeathxMetalx
    Havent checked this band out yet but im def gonna have to thats for sure. they sound great, a cross between Arch Enemy, Carcass, Lacuna Coil, And Nightwish. Sounds great. Arch Enemy And Carcass are almost the same, not in sound but lineup considering half of carcass is in Arch Enemy. Michael Ammott Ftw!
    MaidenMan88
    Sigil One wrote: is the cd out in like local shops and stuff or do u have to order it???
    I haven't seen it anywhere locally so I'd guess you'd have to order it(but you can get it directly from the band off myspace and have them sign it for you before they send it).