Illuminate review by Lydia

• Released: Mar 18, 2008
Lydia: Illuminate

This album has an unusual sound. A lot of effects and overlapping tracks and harmony is used on this album. The music can be very classical sounding, with soft guitar interludes, but will often pick up into faster-paced music as well. There are two main singers, who are male and female, which adds an interesting sound to the vocal tracks. They work well with harmony, as well as alone on other parts. The band offers an interesting mix of guitar as well as synth and keyboards, but they mix the sound well, and the music all flows beuitifully, sounding very natural.

The lyrics are very descriptive, but they can also be a little bit vague, however they suit the music well. I find that many of the songs are similar in lyrical intent, and very similar phrases are sometimes used, making the lyrics seem somewhat repetitive. The singers are both very skilled, and their voices suit the music extremely well.

This album is very good, one of my favourite modern albums, with a very unique sound for this era. There are few artists that I can compare it to, maybe City and Colour because of the range of vocal work, and because the guitar work can sometimes be similar. I would have a difficult time picking certain songs as the best ones. I prefer to listen to the album as a single entity. Every song is quite good in my opinion. My largest criticism for this album is the lyrics, and maybe that it sounds very similar to their first album, and it would be good to see them take on a different direction with their music in the future. If I lost this album, I would definitely buy it again.

DarkDallasNight
    Mindy is not a new addition to the band...shes been in there for a while now and yes... Loren left. He is in Austin Gibbs and the States.
    LydiaMusic
    dude this album has a totally different vibe from this December-- It actually doesn't song anything like their last album. your review sounds like a typical cookie-cutter description of any album- did you even listen to some of the songs?.and this album is rated a 8?? lol. please- more like 11 out of 10. and they also sound like Dallas Green's City and Colour?? please.... if your going to compare lydia to any band- just go with common sense and say Jimmy Eats World because that is actually a band Lydia is inspired by. overall sub-par review. lol @ UglyAryan. Mindy has been with the band since 06 - you are telling me she is a new addition.LMAO please get your facts straight. We also know that craig (former guitarist) is the drummer now so you don't need to point that out. the only new addition to the band that i can label as new is Ethan.