Illuminate review by Lydia

• Released: Mar 18, 2008
Lydia: Illuminate

Personally, I've never heard anything like lydia before. They are one of a kind. The thing that amazes me most about this album is that when all the instruments kick in at once they sound as if they are one. It's almost orchestral. The transitions are well placed and define the songs. Plus you can hear the emotion in the songs which is beautifully refreshing.

The lyrics on this album are amazing. They are vague, yet detailed at the same time. Leighton (the singer) is a very talented lyricist as well as singer. His lyrics are detailed to the point where you get the jist of it but they are not conclusive as to the real meaning, which kind of leaves it open ended so that the listener can interpret the songs in his/her own way. And I personally believe that that is exactly how lyrics are supposed to be structured. Plus, Leighton is one of the best vocalists I have ever heard. He has such a unique voice that it captures you. And the combination of that and lyrics pulls you in and makes you feel the same as you think he may have felt when was writing the songs.

I honestly could never say anything bad about this band or this CD. As a musician, I understand the complexity of the sound that they have mastered. Their music has an ambience to it that is unmatchable and an artistry to it that is remarkable. It is honestly as if an artist painted each one of the songs on a seperate canvas and each one of the canvases is somehow connected. I have been known to like extremely heavy music but the thing that captured me about this band was the musicianship and the raw emotion you get from the sound.

sexclamation
    lydia sounds nothing like jimmy eat world. Jimmy eat world may have been an inspiration but lydia is extremely different from them. But yeah, lydia doesnt sound like city and colour either.
    Infamou$17
    Honestly I think Illuminate blew the doors off of This December. My only complaint is not always being able to hear the bass. Aside from that, every aspect of Illuminiate is superior