Gimme Back My Bullets review by Lynyrd Skynyrd

• Released: Jan 1, 1976
Lynyrd Skynyrd: Gimme Back My Bullets

Lynyrd Skynyrd is often considered one of the greatest southern rock bands of all time and I agree. The sound on this album is pure Skynyrd with a unique twist. Before they recorded this album they lost their third guitarist Ed King. He packed up and left the band in the middle of a tour. With only two guitarists left in the band they were missing a very important ingredient in their sound but had to carry on anywyay. There are 9 tracks and 6 bonus tracks on this album. Gimme Back My Bullets has everything from energetic rock 'n' roll songs such as Searchin' or Cry For the Bad Man to calmer and more deeply felt songs such as All I Can Do Is Write About It. They've even covered an old blues tune called Same Old Blues from J.J. Cale and have included it on this album. This album goes farther than just rock 'n' roll. There's also some blues and a little bit of country.

Ronnie Van Zant was a very real, down-to-earth lyricist. He spoke what was in his heart and wouldn't have it any other way. His songs were often based on or inspired by real events and always had a way of reaching someone. With the release of this album Ronnie Van Zant continues to show that he was a gifted songwriter as well as a singer. One of the songs that impressed me the most lyrically was the song All I Can Do Is Write About It. It's very genuine and heartspoken and goes a little deeper than expected. It's an acoustic tune about Ronnie Van Zant's outlook on how things were changing and how he enjoyed the natural world and the laid-back honesty of the American south.

I have the deluxe edition of this album and it includes a bonus DVD of Lynyrd Skynyrd's live performance at The Old Grey Whistle Test on November 11th, 1975. The songs that they performed on the DVD are Double Trouble, I Ain't the One, Call Me the Breeze, Same Old Blues, Every Mother's Son, Sweet Home Alabama, and Free Bird. I would recommend the deluxe edition with the bonus DVD for any hardcore Lynyrd Skynyrd fan or anyone who appreciates Skynyrd's music. This album may not have not gotten as much recognition as other Lynyrd Skynyrd albums but that does not mean it was not a great album. The songs on here are classic songs and I was definitely not disappointed with the selection. A couple of songs that are my personal favorites are Cry For the Bad Man and All I Can Do Is Write About It although they are all remarkable. There isn't anything that I would change about this album. It is outstanding just the way it is. If this album were stolen I would without a doubt buy it again because it is an important part of my CD collection.

mike=miguel
    so is this put together from old recorded songs or is it a tribute band. cause everyone knows lynard skynard was killed in a plane crash.
    aig91
    ^ Actually it's the 2nd to last studio album before they died. They released one live album (One More From the Road) and one more studio album (Street Survivors) after this.
    ltlhawk
    Most bands would not have made it through the turmoil that they were going thru at the time. Two things here, this was not the original line up per say...This is Artimus Pyles debut to the band, he was at the time probably one of the best rock and roll drummer and they were in between guitarist...Steve Gaines joined the band soon after the release of this album. What a force he was, was probably the most influential band member to date, he could do it all write sing and play, what a shame about the plane who knows what else he could have added to this band had they not died. I agree with the above statements this is probably my favorite album they released, Ronnie was a musical genius, he could write about anything and make it a hit. Allen wrote the song Freebird but was originally to be an instrumental but Ronnie wrote the words to the song and a mega hit was created. I could write more about this band but I have to say growing up in the 70's was probably the best time to listen to music ever and this band has perservered through the times, good band to go see today, not the same band but they do it right and you don't feel cheated at the end of the night. They smoked in indy I would hate to have to follow this band still...
    rockinlespaul
    Great Cd, I own this, couple meh songs, a few of the live versions are mediocre, but All I can Do, Gimme Back My Bullets, and a couple others are great pieces. Roll Gypsy Roll and Searching are little gems too. Buy it if you get the chance. Great band. RIP Ronnie.