Nuthin' Fancy review by Lynyrd Skynyrd

• Released: Jan 1, 1975
Lynyrd Skynyrd: Nuthin' Fancy

The sound on Nuthin Fancy is great. Once again, Lynyrd Skynyrd proves that they have a great variety of sounds to choose from. There are great hard rock songs such as Saturday Night Special and On The Hunt. There are also some slow, bluesy songs such as Cheatin' Woman that are great to listen to when you just want to relax. There's also a little bit of a country sound on this album including the songs Am I Losin' and Made In the Shade. The song Made in the Shade sounds like country blues tune and it sort of has a back porch feel to it. Overall, the sound on this album is very enjoyable.

The lyrics on Nuthin Fancy are very heartspoken and right to the point. Ronnie Van Zant's words are always very genuine and down-to-earth, and he was never afraid to speak his mind. Some songs on this album have a strong message, such as Saturday Night Special, which mentions the dangers of not having gun control. Another song, entitled Railroad Song, tells a captivating story that Ronnie Van Zant wrote about a train. There are other songs that a lot of feelings were put into. Good examples of this are the songs I'm A Country Boy and Am I Losin'. Ronnie Van Zant wrote Am I Losin' about former Lynyrd Skynyrd drummer, Bob Burns after he left the band. One of the lines in this song are, "Why am I losin' one of my best friends?" The words to many of these songs are something that people can relate to or agree with.

Nuthin Fancy is definitely a great album. It may not be Lynyrd Skynyrd's best, but it is widely accepted by Lynyrd Skynyrd fans everywhere. It has a very enjoyable and easy to listen to collection of songs. Two songs that are very popular among Skynyrd fans are Saturday Night Special and Whiskey Rock-A-Roller. One of my personal favorites is Ronnie Van Zant and Allen Collins' On the Hunt. This album is unquestionably an important part of my CD collection. If it were stolen, I would go to the store and buy another one for sure.