Second Helping review by Lynyrd Skynyrd

• Released: Jan 1, 1974
Lynyrd Skynyrd: Second Helping

The classic southern rock sound. Mostly electric guitars, drums, bass, and vocals. They experimented with a dobro in the song, "The Ballad Of Curtis Loew", which fit perfectly considering that Curtis Loew played a dobro. The guitar solos fit excellently in all of the songs, and the songs never get too long or repeatitive. They make excellent use of all instruments on this CD, and go from slow, bluesy songs (such as "I Need You") to happy, upbeat songs (such as "Sweet Home Alabama"). This CD is typical Lynyrd Skynyrd, and you couldn't ask for much more.

Terrific lyrics. From "Sweet Home Alabama" to "The Ballad Of Curtis Loew". "Sweet Home Alabama" deals with Neil Young's song, "Southern Man", which put down Southerners. "I hope Neil Young will remember, a Southern man don't need him around, anyhow" says in a nutshell what the entire song was about. "The Ballad of Curtis Loew" is about an old blues player that Van Zandt used to pay to play for him. I honestly have no idea if this is true, but a great song, nonetheless. A few songs' meanings are right in the title. "Workin' For MCA" is a song about, you guessed it, working for MCA records. Some of the lyrics are hard to deceifer, such as "The Needle and The Spoon". I haven't figured them out yet. But overall, the lyrics fit with the music, and are thought out well.

I can't compare this album to others they've made, because I don't own any other Skynyrd albums. I was very impressed with "Sweet Home Alabama" and "The Ballad Of Curtis Loew". "Workin' For MCA" has a good beat to it, and you'll be singing it all day. I love almost everything about this CD. I especially enjoy thier uncanny ability to play both fast, upbeat songs, and also play slow, sad songs. One bad thing about this CD is that it's very short, with only 8 tracks. But then again, it was probably released originally on an 8-track. If this CD was stolen/lost, I probably would spend the money on Skynyrd's Greatest Hits CD. While this CD may have some of their best songs on it, it certainly does not have all of them. But for the amount of material on the CD, it is a great album.

SethMegadefan
    Best Skynyrd album I can think of. Hell, one of the best albums from anyone I can think of. I freaking love Second Helping. I might have to write up a review for it myself.
    SMoD
    The reason this is only 8 tracks long is because the original release (On vinyl) cannot hold as music as a CD can...for example Led Zeppelin CD's are usually around 8 tracks long (Led Zeppelin IV) and Houses Of The Holy was only 7 tracks long.
    SMoD
    sry Houses Of The Holy was 8 tracks, Presence and In Through The Out Door were 7 tracks