Second Helping review by Lynyrd Skynyrd

• Released: Jan 1, 1974
Lynyrd Skynyrd: Second Helping

Now this is where history was made. This album marks the debut of Lynyrd Skynyrd's signature "three guitar attack". They were able to convince their former bassist back into the band and move the current bassist to guitar. A decision that, in my opinion, could not have been better. This album showcases the skill of Lynyrd Skynyrd as a band. From the slower, more thought provoking songs such as 'The Ballad of Curtis Lowe' to the southern anthem 'Sweet Home Alabama'.

The lyrics on this album are rather varied. Ranging from the up-beat style heard in 'Sweet Home Alabama' to slower bluesy songs like 'I Need You' to a slightly depressing song about drugs entitled 'The Needle and The Spoon'. Ronnie Van Zant does an awesome job on this album. As his second album, it is an excellent showcase of his vocal skills.

This album was the beginning of the Lynyrd Skynyrd sound. All the albums that followed, up until the plane accident, used this style. In my honest opinion, this is one of the best Lynyrd Skynyrd albums ever recorded. Without a doubt, songs such as 'The Ballad of Curtis Lowe', 'They Call Me the Breeze', and of course, 'Sweet Home Alabama' will continue to be held as anthems in the world of southern rock.

rattleheadxvi
    *For the top review. The needle and the spoon is about heroin. Heating up the heroin on the spoon and injecting it with the needle. Come on.
    Smithsc
    So many good riffs and licks! I cant say enough good about skynyrd.The lyrics are very wity and well thought out, kudos to Ronny Van Zant God rest your soul. Truly talented guitarists as well, cant beat 'em.
    DaDude450
    "was i right or was i wrong"...one of my favorite skynyrd songs no one really knows about.
    larry.munn.7
    "I need you" is a very, very underrated song. It got lost amid a ridiculous assemblage of exceptional songs. When you find it, though, it is very special.