The Collection review by Lynyrd Skynyrd

• Released: Aug 28, 2001
Lynyrd Skynyrd: The Collection

Who hasn't heard Lynyrd Skynyrd? Practically everyone in the English-speaking world has heard "Sweet Home Alabama" god knows how many times! In my opinion, these southern rockers have one of the best sounds in rock music. This CD puts all of their best stuff together, to make a really 'fun' and enjoyable compilation CD! Every guitar solo fits into it's song perfectly, rhythym is mostly upbeat and groovy, the drums keep each song going nicely, and then of course, you've got good old piano, which sounds fantastic in every song (in which it features).

The lyrics are brilliant for each and every song. Van Zandt has a terrific voice. It's a really memorable voice; though he does tend to 'slur' some of his words, so lyrics can be hard to decipher. The vocals fit into this music perfectly. Some of the songs do have meanings, such as "Sweet Home Alabama" which is a response to a Neil Young song ("Southern Man") which put down Southerners. "Working for MCA" is pretty self-explanatory. It's a song about working for 'MCA Records'! One of my favourite songs which I love to sing along to is "Simple Man" (the original version), which is a real 'pick-me-up' if you're feeling down or sorry for yourself.

The overall impression of the CD is a really good one. Every song is fantastic in it's own way. It'll have you listening for years! Sadly, though, "Free Bird" does not feature on this CD (though I have no idea why it wouldn't)! But even without it, it's an incredible CD. I'm impressed by most every song, because most come with epic guitar solos, which sound awesome. I love everything about this CD, including the price I paid! 3.33 on Amazon.co.uk seemed like too much of a bargain to miss! The bottom line is, if you're into rock, classic or modern, you'll love this CD.

jeowy
    jaxtheaxe
    its a cheap compilation its ok but no freebird isstupid if your looking for a compilation get The Essential Lynyrd Skynyrd
    tilleking
    jeowy wrote: Genres: Arena Rock, Album Rock, Rock & Roll, Blues-Rock, Southern Rock, Boogie Rock, Hard Rock yes lets choose as many genres as possible. why not just "rock" "hard rock" or "rock n roll"?
    lol. You've obviously never written a review for UG. You don't get to pick a genre - they do it. lol.
    TheFrog
    Ok, wait a sec, I'm looking at the front of this album in HMV, and I think- Oh look, Skynyrd! Then I turn it over looking for Freebird and its not there! If you've never listened to Skynyrd before, BUY THE ESSENTIAL NOT THIS ONE!
    Hungry_Hameds
    Bah this is a great album, Free bird is one of their worst songs, it just goes on and bloody on!! dont get me wrong i love stuff like Stairway to heaven and Kashmir by Zep, i have no problem with long songs at all but free bird... no, this album is better for not having it!!