Overworld review by Machinae Supremacy

• Released: Feb 13, 2008
Machinae Supremacy: Overworld

Machinae supremacy's newest addition to their discography contains some of the most well produced songs they've ever made. They have taken a step away from that epic "power" feel some songs on Redeemer had, and are going for a little heavier sound. Something that is noticable is that the SID sounds are a little different this time around (They use a so called SID-station for the commandore 64 sounds.). On Deus ex machinae the SID sounds were always there, and on redeemer they seem to have tried to distance themself from it, but on Overworld they have found a good ballance. Some songs are really heavy like Edge and pearl, Dark city and Conveyer, who are all dripping with meaty riffs and sweet guitar solos. And some are kind of punky and energized like Overworld and Need for steeve. This may or may not mess some people up, since the album is so bland in mood, it doesn't seem to have any red line through it (I myself have no problem with it though.) Something that is really great in my opinion is the sound of the bass. MaSu's bass has always been kind of unoticable and simple, but on this CD the bass is sweet and you can feel the groove, really. This may be because of the new bass player, and the fact that all the bass tracks are backed-up by a SID-bass. Robert Stjrnstrms vocals has also improved quite alot, and does not come off as whiny as on the earlier CD's, Wich is a really important improvement, since that is the most popular complaint on their sound.

The lyrics on the album ranges from punky in-your-face lyrics that is found on the title track overworld, to subliminal dark lyrics that is found in Edge and pearl. A usuall lyrical theme in MaSu's songs is the Big-brother thing; that the gouvernment is trying to control the society and such. An example of this theme is found on the cover of the album, where you see a woman with a barcode on her cheek. The singing is melodic and does not have any screams or growls.

Overall this is a great album in my opinion. However it has not been too well recieved with some of the fans, some say it is a bad album, and some just say that redeemer was a stronger album. My opinion would be that, the mixing and overall sound of overworld is a lot more solid than redeemer, but redeemers songs has got a kind of feeling that overworld doesn't have. But still, I have had a long thinker on this and I have settled for Overworld as the better one of the two, but only because the overall quality of the album, the mixing, the singing, the bass etc sounds a lot smoother on this album. I allready own two signed copies of the album, so if one was stolen I'd have a spare, but if both got stolen, I'd undoubtably buy a new one.

Rokkec
    This is a fine example of a fair review I completely agree with everything you`ve mentioned..altough I didn`t give that much tought to it=) And in my opinion this a great album and I really hope they become famous some day, `cause they deserve it
    FlamingForce
    Pretty_Much wrote: Harvey_Danger wrote: Shadowplay13 wrote: his voice is annoying Thanks for the feedback, now **** off and go listen to your pop music. Hey! Hey! People are intitled to their on opinion.
    "Entitled" And don't state your opinion as a fact if you plan on using that excuse. "His voice IS annoying" does not come off as an opinion.
    Shawn Galea
    whe i heard their music at the first time i taught d same voice was annyoing but i was patient to found out that i had the wrong impression the vocie seem annoying in some songs true but not to bother the music is awsome and the massage coming from the voice gives courage they are one of my favorite bands =)
    Harvey_Danger
    Shadowplay13 wrote: his voice is annoying
    Thanks for the feedback, now **** off and go listen to your pop music.
    Pretty_Much
    Hey! Hey! People are intitled to their on opinion.