Burn My Eyes review by Machine Head

• Released: Aug 9, 1994
Machine Head: Burn My Eyes

When I think of metal, I think of this album. All metal begins with Machine Head, and this is the album that started this trend. I was completely blown away by this album. It is truly a metal album. It's screaming harmonics, drop d fifths, and pulsing bass makes this an essential album for all metal fans. I own somewhere around 200 c.d.'s and I must say, this is one of my top 5.

The lyrics are tough to judge. Contrary to what the other review said, the lyrics cover a variety of situations- from the problems of the world today to fear to rejection. Rob's skills were still developing as far as the singing goes, but he certainly gets by. The lyrics fit so perfectly with the music it's truly incredible. One of my favorite things about this album is how the riffs are played directly into the verses without even a hint of a quarter rest. A good example of this would be the riff going into the first verse of Davidian. All fits well, I don't know how the songs could have been more diverse or well-written, but the singing is slightly underdeveloped at this point.

It would not be a stretch to call this my favorite album. I keep going back and forth between this album and Machine Head's new album, "Through The Ashes Of Empires". I would say this album ranks up with "Master Of Puppets", "Paranoid", and of course, "Through The Ashes Of Empires" as one of the greatest metal albums of all time. My favorite song on the album is either "Old", "Block", or "Davidian". It is a really hard choice to make, because all of the songs on this album are truly incredible. The only song on this album that lacks is probably "Real Eyes, Realize, Real Lies". This song is instrumental, with the same riff played over, over, and over again, with just simple news clips played throughout the song. Cool name for the song though. I almost regret trading for it, I wish I would have bought it myself, just because it seems a travesty for my friend not to have it. Not to mention, it says on the front of it in big letters, "Licensed under BMG Direct". That angers me. I almost wish I would get it stolen, so I could go out and buy it again, just to amp up the sales of this jaw-dropping album. Bottom line: I f--kin' love it.