Burn My Eyes review by Machine Head

• Released: Aug 9, 1994
Machine Head: Burn My Eyes

The first ever Machine Head record, brings a tear to your eye when you compare this to 1999's 'The Burning Red' or 2001's 'Supercharger'. Some say this is the band's best record to date, although others are dived on that with 2004's 'Through The Ashes of Empires'. I'll make this clear right now, this is a heavy assed reocrd. The first two songs 'Davidian' and 'Old' and the closing track 'Block' are the treasures on this album, but that's not to sya the rest sucks, it's a brutal record with fast picking riffs ['Blood For Blood'] and some ferocious vocal work from frontman Robert Flynn. In all honesty, if you like heavy metal you need to own this!

Hard to comment. I've looke dover the lyrics for 'Davidian', 'Old', 'Death Church', Blood For Blood' and 'Block', but they don't exactly make sense to me. They don't seem to tell a story or anything, so I'm afraid I can't really judge them. But Davidian's trademark 'Let Freedom Ring With a Shotgun Blast' is one of the most recognised chorus lines ever, no doubt about it.

To be honest, this album is absolutely fantastic, although not perfect. Like I've alreayd said, some of the lyrics really don't make any sense to me and some songs, and this is just a minor thing here, get a little repetitive. I think the only albums that stand up to htis are Pantera's 'Far Beyond Driven', Sepultura's 'Roots' and Machine Head's own 'Through The Ashes of Empires'. if you liek metal, you won't want to miss out on some of the most memorable riffs around.

trainwreck666
    This album is by far the best killer metal debut released, the lyrics are amazing if people are put off by some of the negative reviews regarding lyrics dont worry they mostly social commentary and focus on church, politics and predjudice buy this album if you like metal.