Elegies [DVD] review by Machine Head

• Released: Oct 11, 2005
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 10
Machine Head: Elegies [DVD]

Well, there is only one person on this site that is qualified to review this DVD, that is: this Machine Head DVD, Machine Head's first ever DVD. Following their split with Roadrunner US after the release of Supercharger, things did not look good for Machine Head, not good at all. Many fans, critics and even the band themselves were in fear of the worst: the end of Machine Head as we knew it. Everyone's worst fear came true, it was the end. Machine Head took time out to re-evaluate their position in the metal world. Starting from scratch or letting the band fade into oblivion were the only two options. Luckily for us, they chose the former. Taking time out really helped Rob Flynn and the others think about a new direction, a more metal direction. Yes, Supercharger and The Burning Red were nu metal albums and did not live up to Burn My Eyes or The More Things Change. So, the long and gruelling writing and recording process began. The album: Through The Ashes Of Empires was released in Europe. The response? Overwhelming. Machine Head were back on top and this DVD is further proof of that fact. This DVD was delayed many times, but it finally came out, the wait was most definately worth it. The sound is perfect, it catches the true essence of a Machine Head show. Every track is played to perfection with no faults or cuts. This, is what Machine Head is all about.

Content — 10
A full live concert and plenty of other footage to keep the Machine Head fans happy. To be honest, I would have been happy with just the concert, thats how teriffic Machine Head are. The videos of Imperium, The Blood, The Sweat, The Tears and Days Turn Blue to Grey are all included with a 'making of' for each of the videos. The making of TTAOE is also included - a must see for any metal fan. Set list: 01. Intro 02. Imperium 03. Seasons Wither 04. Old 05. Bulldozer 06. Days Turn Blue To Gray 07. The Blood, The Sweat, The Tears 08. Ten Ton Hammer 09. The Burning Red 10. In The Presence Of My Enemies 11. Take My Scars 12. Descend The Shades Of Night 13. Davidian 14. Block 15. Outro Satisifed? Yes. Blood For Blood would have been unbelievable but hey, you can't have everything. Highlights: Imperium, an epic rendition of The Burning Red and Descend The Shades of Night and of course the brutal - Davidian.

Production Quality — 10
The production is pretty interesting. For Imperium and a couple of other tracks there is a very raw/old school type of effect used on screen. Thankfully the whole concert isn't like that, but it does add to the DVD.

Now how does this superb DVD compare to others I have in my extensive collection? To be honest, it is easily the best music DVD I have ever seen and I don't think it will be beaten. It destroys anything Metallica have released (yes, even Live Shit In Seattle), Slayer's War At The Warfield cannot even be compared to it. This of course makes sense, for Machine Head are all about the live show, hence why they have completed two world tours since the release of TTAOE. From The Omen (intro tape) to the 'F--k It All' of Block: this DVD delivers crushing brutality. Rob Flynn: we Machine Head fans salute you and cannot wait for the next album. Oh and please, no one steal it: I have waited long enough for the release of Elegies.