Elegies [DVD] review by Machine Head

• Released: Oct 11, 2005
  • Content: 10
  • Production Quality: 9
Machine Head: Elegies [DVD]

Machine Head are known as one of the best live acts in modern metal, and this is a perfect example of their expertise. They seem to effortlessly play all their classic anthems from Burn My Eyes through TTAOE and get the crowd worked up in seconds. Machine Head delayed the creation of a DVD until they felt they were ready for it and had the right resources to make a good quality DVD for their fans, well, it certainly paid off.

Content — 10
The DVD features a full concert at London's Brixton Academy in front of a crowd of 5, 000+ crazed MH fans, as well as having small breaks in the concert where it will flick over to a tour mini-doco type of scene, taking you into the tour bus and showing a Machine Head kareoke competition. Bonus features include commercial videos + the making of each and interviews. The set list is as follows: 01. Imperium - a fast paced opener from TTAOE. 02. Seasons Wither - an older song with a slow section from. 03. Old - a classic from Burn My Eyes. 04. Bulldozer - a song from Supercharger. 05. Days Turn Blue To Gray - a crunchy song with lyrics concerning family issues from TTAOE. 06. The Blood, The Sweat, The Tears - a fan-devoted song from The Burning Red. 07. Ten Ton Hammer - another classic anthem from The More Things Change. 08. The Burning Red - the title track from The Burning Red. 09. In The Presence Of My Enemies - a very in-your-face song from TTAOE. 10. Take My Scars - from The More Things Change. 11. Descend The Shades Of Night - a softer song about death from TTAOE. 12. Davidian - another crowd-pleaser from Burn My Eyes. 13. Block - another in-your-face aggressive song from Burn My Eyes.

Production Quality — 9
As said before, they wanted to wait until they had the resources before releasing a DVD and they made the right choice as the production quality on this was amazing. The camera would switch between straight up shots to a slightly faded rougher effect and both worked excellently. I must say though, after a while I got sick of the effect that they had on but was still pleased with the use of angles to get the best shots of the band in full swing.

My overall impression is that it was worth the wait for all the Machine Head fans who couldn't get to one of their shows. They definitely live up to their reputation as a live act and if they were to release a new DVD or if this copy was stolen I would definitely buy a new copy straight away.

postmortem2006
    KTFM - Seasons Wither isn't an 'older' song, it was on the US release of Through the Ashes of Empires. How about doing a little research mmmkay?
    saberrocks
    This DVD is focking awesome! This one really got me into Machine Head, the best live band ever, beside Iron Maiden of course.