Elegies [DVD] Review

artist: Machine Head date: 01/28/2008 category: compact discs
Machine Head: Elegies [DVD]
Release Date: October 11, 2005
This DVD has some of the best live footage ever caught on film. The performance was intense and full of energy. Perfect set list, and performed perfectly by the best metal band perhaps in history.
 Content: 8
 Production Quality: 9
Elegies [DVD] Reviewed by: narmi, on october 22, 2005

Sound: Well, there is only one person on this site that is qualified to review this DVD, that is: this Machine Head DVD, Machine Head's first ever DVD. Following their split with Roadrunner US after the release of Supercharger, things did not look good for Machine Head, not good at all. Many fans, critics and even the band themselves were in fear of the worst: the end of Machine Head as we knew it. Everyone's worst fear came true, it was the end. Machine Head took time out to re-evaluate their position in the metal world. Starting from scratch or letting the band fade into oblivion were the only two options. Luckily for us, they chose the former. Taking time out really helped Rob Flynn and the others think about a new direction, a more metal direction. Yes, Supercharger and The Burning Red were nu metal albums and did not live up to Burn My Eyes or The More Things Change. So, the long and gruelling writing and recording process began. The album: Through The Ashes Of Empires was released in Europe. The response? Overwhelming. Machine Head were back on top and this DVD is further proof of that fact. This DVD was delayed many times, but it finally came out, the wait was most definately worth it. The sound is perfect, it catches the true essence of a Machine Head show. Every track is played to perfection with no faults or cuts. This, is what Machine Head is all about. // 10

Overall Impression: Now how does this superb DVD compare to others I have in my extensive collection? To be honest, it is easily the best music DVD I have ever seen and I don't think it will be beaten. It destroys anything Metallica have released (yes, even Live Shit In Seattle), Slayer's War At The Warfield cannot even be compared to it. This of course makes sense, for Machine Head are all about the live show, hence why they have completed two world tours since the release of TTAOE. From The Omen (intro tape) to the 'F--k It All' of Block: this DVD delivers crushing brutality. Rob Flynn: we Machine Head fans salute you and cannot wait for the next album. Oh and please, no one steal it: I have waited long enough for the release of Elegies. // 10

Elegies [DVD] Reviewed by: iammetal, on january 18, 2006

Sound: This DVD had many fans excited for the release, as well as me. When I had seen the live video they choose to release as a teaser, I was thrilled. The sound is great, its not bad at all. It really shows the bands talents, and devotion to music. // 9

Overall Impression: It's their first DVD if I'm not mistaken, and compared to other artist's DVD's like Lamb Of God, Killswitch Engage, and ect. It's not packed as full as I had hoped it would be. The songs are amazing, great quality, and playing as well. I love the quality, but I wasn't impressed with the set list. I would not replace it if anything were to happen to it, and I would only reccomend it for the hardcore MH fans who bang their head whenever their music enters their skull. // 8

Elegies [DVD] Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 24, 2006

Sound: Whoa, this DVD was well worth the wait. Machine Head have put off doing a DVD for some time, but this is outstanding - a full live concert (recorded at London Brixton Academy in December 2004)? Yes please! As expected, Machine Head ain't gonna hold anything back - their heavy riffs and ear splitting solos are all here, including some old favourites that many won't have heard for awhile (Block, anyone). // 9

Overall Impression: This is an absolutely fantastic DVD, and any self-respecting Machine Head fan would buy a copy as soon as possible! The only bad thing about it is that there isn't enough content to last. But if you like your Machine Head, buy this as soon as you can! // 10

Elegies [DVD] Reviewed by: KTFM, on january 28, 2008

Sound: Machine Head are known as one of the best live acts in modern metal, and this is a perfect example of their expertise. They seem to effortlessly play all their classic anthems from Burn My Eyes through TTAOE and get the crowd worked up in seconds. Machine Head delayed the creation of a DVD until they felt they were ready for it and had the right resources to make a good quality DVD for their fans, well, it certainly paid off. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression is that it was worth the wait for all the Machine Head fans who couldn't get to one of their shows. They definitely live up to their reputation as a live act and if they were to release a new DVD or if this copy was stolen I would definitely buy a new copy straight away. // 10