Hellalive review by Machine Head

Machine Head: Hellalive

Explosive, thrashy, melodic, aggressive, dark, impressive. This is a live performance from the Brixton Academy in London on the 8th of December 2001. Machine Head, formed after the demise of Thrash Metal band Vio-lence in which both Flynn and Demmel (the two current Machine Head guitarists) played. I first heard this album when it first came out and I was astounded. Also the first Machine Head album I'd ever heard and still my favourite. It has the ideal amount of everything. If you do not like this album then I pity you.

I own all of Machine Head's alubums and the lyrics on record and live are outstandingly good and well delivered. In addition to that, he even throws in replacement lyrics which refer to London (the gig venue). Robb Flynn is an extremely talented performer. I have heard live bands with dedicated lead singers not even sounding half as good whereas Robb plays guitar whilst doing it. Some of the most impressive singing comes in Crashing Around You where Flynn is pretty much spotlighted by lack of other instruments at the verses.

I can't really compare it to any albums I own because you can't compare it to recorded albums and you can't compare it to Judas Priest (only other live album I own). The most impressive song on the album is probably The Blood, The Sweat, The Tears not from a musical difficulty but from the overall impression of the song it has a bit of everything: calm, aggressive, solo, super agressive. My favourite, oddly enough, is the slow The Burning Red with soft yet powerful singing and deep, echoing yet again powerful guitar. Another benefit is that the next song after it is Davidian "Let freedom reign with a shotgun blast!" I love the fact the Machine Head give such an amazing live performance. I've seen them once at the Barrowlands in 2004 and I'm goin to see them on the 7th of June at the Carling Academy can't wait. If it were lost or stolen I'd be very pissed off and would buy another.

Captain Sadler
    However when playing certain songs he always says the same things live, at every gig.
    Lol, yeah. It's true. Plus on this cd alone he yells "I f*ckin love it!" way too many times... Pretty funny though.