Supercharger review by Machine Head

• Released: Jan 1, 2001
Machine Head: Supercharger

The often criticised and slandered Machine Head album. Although everyone says this is Machine Head's weakest album (which is absolutely true), it's by no means a bad one. The fact that the lead single Crashing Around You was released around the 9/11 terror attacks didn't help either. This albums good though, it contains some catchy, heavy and rather depressing tunes, but with a little more of a nu-metal flavour. I personally reckon that their then-guitarist Ahrue Luster is to blame for this. Well, the guitars are tight, the bass is deathly and the drumming is as good as you could want it to be. But again, the nu-metal sound will shock the hell out of hardcore Machine Head fans (especially if you boycotted The Burning Red). Songs like White-Knuckle Blackout, whilst catchy, are just not what you expect from a band of this calibur. Some people, including myself, will love it. Others will f--king hate it.

I'll make this one brief as possible, Robb Flynn has some outstanding vocal work going on here, with clean singing and grows so fierce that theyd make all grindcore singers run for the hills in terror. As for lyrics; Trephination is another song focused on the abuse Robb Flynn suffered as a child (the other two being Violate from The More Things Change and Five from The Burning Red), Only the Names revolves around the subject of drugs and addiction, Crashing Around You pretty much explains itself and American High is about growing up in the Bay Area and skipping school to jam with your band etc, a song that a lot of people could relate to, I'm sure. Lyrically, the record is sound but again, the nu-metal influence shows up too much for the band's own good.

This album is great. Don't believe what everyone tells you about Supercharger, it's not as bad as people say it is! Trephination is easily the best song here and one of the heaviest and most terrifying tracks I've heard in a long time, whilst everything else, although nu-metally, is catchy and has some great riffs and hooks. The digipack edition of Supercharger contains bonus tracks, Hole In The Sky (a Black Sabbath cover), Ten Fold (a b-side from the Supercharger reocording sessions) and two live tracks in the form of The Blood, The Sweat, The Tears and Desire to Fire. The live tracks are great and Hole in the Sky is pretty good, but I'll be willing to admit that Ten Fold is pretty crappy. Anyway, I like this album a lot. it's nowhere near as good as Burn My Eyes, The More Things Change and it's definately not as good as their recent release The Blackening. But all the same, I applaud Machine Head for trying soemthign new and doing it well. Nowhere near as bad as people say, so go and buy it!

Fly-swatter
    although this is my least favourite of their albums...it has my fav track Deafening Silence...masterpiece and a pretty cool Sabbath cover
    not_dead_enough
    You are all unfair! To me this album is equally in the same ballpark as the other MH albums! I don't think it is necessarily the weakest. Would you rather them be Slayer and pump the same album out for 20 years? Rob admitted himself that every album would just be seen as 'another shadow of Burn My Eyes' unless they took risks, and (I think) they handled it far better than most other metal bands would. Great job MH, you have yet to disappoint me.
    Lunchbox362
    Not bad, not bad at all, pretty good actually, but when your a metal-god Like MH, i suppose you have alot to live up to.