The Blackening review by Machine Head

• Released: Mar 27, 2007
Machine Head: The Blackening

The first time I heard this album I was thinking what I was going to be in for. Then I heard the intro to the first song "Clenching The Fists of Dissent" and I knew Machine Head we're improved since Through The Ashes of Empires and I thought that was gonna be pretty hard to top considering TTAOE was their best album to date until this brilliant masterpiece came out. Holy Shit Phill And Rob do their best effort on this record it is absolutely brutal. A lot of the songs solo's average about 2-3 minutes, who knew a band that were dead could do this but they did and proved everyone wrong. The riffs on this album are displayed out very nicely and go along perfectly with the songs, also when they both harmonize during the solos that is just amazing. The drums on this album, Man where do I even begin Dave McLain has improved so much as a drummer on this album, his double bass is insane and just his overall use of drumming techniques is just brutal. Adam Duce one amazing bassist I'll tell you that much his riffs aeren't simple most of them are actually pretty hard and the intro he does in "Halo" is just awesome! So great sound I would give it a 30/10 because yes Machine Head have improved that much!

This is Rob Flynn at his best vocal perfermance yet. Whether he is screaming, yelling or just singing with a melodic voice he proves it all on this album. You can tell that the lyrics aeren't your typical lyrics(I live in Ottawa and no one understands metal here except maybe a few 1000 people). They are your typical metal lyrics though but are expressed with a lot more anger than most bands out there today and none of them are about like dumping and shit like that all of them just want to smash you right in the face because Rob is a lyrical genious.

Machine Head overall cannot compare to this album. Can it compare to other Machine Head albums though, absolutely not this is the bands most progressing album ever. As I mentioned it has been the best release of the year so far. My favourite songs on this album have got to be well. I don't know because I don't think I have a favourite song on this album all of them have different musical approaches and yes they do have acoustic guitar on this album it is beautiful. Man who would hate this album (unless you listen to pussy music) taking into account the old shit I used to listen too until I found out about Metal and Machine Head. If it we're stolen/lost I would buy 5 f--king copies and give some of them to people to see how great this album is and tell them to throw away their Simple Plan shit or Green Day.