The Blackening review by Machine Head

• Released: Mar 27, 2007
Machine Head: The Blackening

As the CD starts, there is a feedback/ reverb sound with some vocals, then an acoustic comes in, but then the mood of the song changes when an electric comes with slight distortion, then a fast, distorted riff brings you into Clenching Fists of Dissent, as soon as this starts you know what is to come fast solos, riffs that are heavy as harsh vocals. On the next song Beautiful Morning another heavy fast riff comes in, then Robb screams f--k you all the chorus of this song is melodic and heavy at the same time, a ace solo comes in next. Then Aesthetics of Hate comes in with one of best intros on the CD, and one of the most catchy songs on the album, the guitar solo begins with a very, very cool riff then pounds into a powerful solo. The next song is Now I Lay Thee Down with what I think is the best intro on the album and one of my favourite songs on the album, due to the fact of the melodies in the verse, excellent guitar work, harsh vocals and excellent lyrics. Slanderous has a cool rhythm for the main verse, the type of rhythm you would bounce to in the crowd. Halo is next up with a clean reverby into which goes into a heavy riff with pitch every so often, one of the best songs on the album. Wolves begins with Robb shouting Unleash the wolves pounding into the intro solo, one of my favourite songs because of the catchy verse with super-fast guitar work. With a big intro and a lot of melodies A Farewell to Arms begins but don't worry that soon gets heavy with some killer guitaring. Possibly the greatest cover next, Metallica's Battery is one of the best songs on the album, for those who haven't heard the original it was on Master of Puppets and it was amazing when Metallica did it but Machine have just made it better.

I think Robb wrote most of lyrics for the album, and he did a good job. The song Aesthetics of Hate was inspired by a news journalist who was saying bad things about Dime the day after he died, which is harsh, so Machine Head wrote a killer songs about it. His singing skills are fabulous, incorporating harsh growls with melodic parts, which makes the song Now I Lay Thee Down shine through.

This band is amazing, I just love their music. I love the sound of Machine Head, the guitar work in this album is the type of guitar I want to play, heavy riffs, Harmonies and fast technical parts. This album is a definite buy for any metal fan, and it is Machine Heads greatest album. I Bought the Special edition version because of the DVD, and it is great a 30 min documentary on the making of The Blackening, and them on sounds of the Underground. I thought the art work on this album was amazing and just everything about was amazing. My favourite songs on this album are Clenching Fists of Dissent, Aesthetics of Hate, Now I Lay Thee Down and Slanderous. I play this album all the time and is definitely my favourite album.