The Blackening review by Machine Head

• Released: Mar 27, 2007
Machine Head: The Blackening

The sound of "The Blackening" is beautiful, angry, and full of tone. This album may be considered the album of the decade. "The Blackening" represents this generation's return to true metal. The sound of Machine Head will crush you at certain points and then draw you into a beautiful melodic sense. Whether you've heard Machine Head before, or just like metal, you will respect this album. There is a large thrash influence on this record. The guitar tone on this album is incredible, the cleans have a slight flanger with delay, making them sound distant and mysterious, yet drawing you in to listen closer. The heavy distortion will blow your mind. This album has incredible tone, beautiful cleans, and uniquely crafted solos that will make you simply go "wow."

The lyrics on this album are influenced by the world around us. They were not written neccesarily to inspire us to but to make us think. The album obviously is very political with songs such as "Clenching the Fists of Dissent" and "A Farewell to Arms", obviously relating to the horrors of war. "Beautiful Mourning" is written possibly about a murder/rape and find yourself waking up to see this tragedy the next morning. "Aesthetics of Hate" is written about an article that said anyone mourning the loss of Dimebag Darrell was pathetic and ugly, it was also written to symbolize the opression that many listeners to heavy metal encounter. "Now I Lay Thee Down" is written as a Romeo & Juliet brought into modern context, possibly written to show the suffering a spouse or child can go through when they find out their father/husband has lost his life in war. "Slanderous" is written about social opression and stereotypes a person can receive, simply because of a person's race or what they choose to do in life. "Halo" is a song describing organized-religion and how it can cause one to be blind, by following words that you are told, whether they be truthful or not. "Wolves" describes Machine Head's "Winner Take All Spirit" and savageness of their fans. The singing style of Robb Flynn is not melodic, but very angry, but somehow makes almost perfect sense when put in context with the lyrics and music style. They are heavily thrashed influnced vocals, but are not purely thrash as exemplified on songs such as "Now I Lay Thee Down." The vocal styling would be strange if it were any different on this album.

This album is certainly a beacon of light in today's scene of what people consider "metal." The songs "clenching the Fists of Dissent" and "A Farewell to Arms" are the most diverse songs on this album, demonstrating multiple vocal and musical styles. "Aesthetics of Hate" is commonly considered the song that best represents a true metal anthem on this album. There are no fillers on this album, every song serves as a transition to the next while remaining an incredible song in it's own right. There is nothing you can hate on this album! If you are a person who cannot stand the truth or cannot stand "bad" words, you will find this album very offensive, but if you listen to it the way it was written, it will make you think twice about everything you see in the media and the world today. This is is still the album to own a year after it's release.

not_dead_enough
    Thread_of_Light wrote: This band is insane. The solo's are amazing. However, I can't listen to something that speaks so harshly of my faith no matter how badass the song actually is. For instance, in Halo: This is a right to life, not the Religious Rights act This is abortions knife, aiming at the womb of The Christian conspiracy So open thine eyes and see, the Halo, over our demise Following a god so blind Sallow, in their sickening Swallow not, the shit they feed
    Well then don't. We still will, and we're all happy. High Christian figures rarely have a problem speaking so harshly of Heavy Metal.
    Thread_of_Light
    Thread_of_Light
    I would like to remove my statement. After doing some investigating as to what the intentions, or meaning behind Halo's lyrics. It's not actually against Christianity, it's is a song describing organized-religion and how it can cause one to be blind, by following words that you are told, whether they be truthful or not... As FinalDivinity descibed in his review. The Blackening is an outstanding album.
    guitarist41
    I scanned this to ahve a wee listen in VRIGIN MEGASTORES a few months back, since I'd heard so much about it. 7.1 seconds into the sample of 'Clenching The Fists' I was a Machine Head fan. Pure amazing.
    DeathForAll
    Are you serious? I can't believe religion is keeping you from listening to awesome music. Dude, if they sang on the album, "Kyle's a ****ing douchebag.", I'd be like, "Awesome! They said my name!" Haha. But yeah, this album is freaking awesome. I've only had trouble liking two songs off of it, and those two are "Slanderous" and "Beautiful Mourning".
    not_dead_enough
    jesus-mobile wrote: is it better than supercharger? Because that album suck epic ass.
    No it didn't you jesus-christian prick!
    YamiJoey
    Stuminton wrote: i thought it had 8 tracks? somebody's researching skills are crap!
    There's a bonus track, a cover of "Battery" by Metallica. It was on Kerrang's "Remastered" album, and is only on the Special Edition version of The Blackening. If this isn't the best Metal Album ever, then it mustn't be classed as metal. Best 'thing' ever. Better than chocolate, sex, or even meeting god for a drink. I got into Machine Head after hearing Imperium, and didn't listen to much of them. After they released this, I became totally obsessed, and I've got every album apart from "The More Things Change" now. If one album can make you want to buy four others, then you know it's something good. YJ
    Fender_For_Life
    motorbreath_445 wrote: this album is kickass, thats for sure. but what i want to know is what the ninth track was. my copy only has the eight tracks. i know they recorded a version of "battery" for kerrang, was that the bonus track?
    yes on the limited edition it is a bonus track
    motorbreath_445
    StupidHuman
    Never was a huge Machine Head fan, but I definitely feel this is there best to date. It's a hell of a lot more aggressive then previous albums, and I hope they continue down this path.
    [x]Huffy[x]
    bigjakk66 wrote: in two words to postmortem2006..... FUCK YOU! Machine Head will be around forever, THE best band ever and you all know it
    Get screwed man, he didn't say anything at all to deserve that sort of abuse.
    I've been a Machine Head fan since the beginning. They are most definitely better when they go heavy.
    I've been a Machine Head since the beginning. They are most definitely better when they are go heavy.