The Blackening review by Machine Head

• Released: Mar 27, 2007
Machine Head: The Blackening

So my friend gives me a call saying he has tickets to the Rockstar Mayhem Tour. I look up and see that Machine Head is on it, however I had never listened to them, although I read their stuff was good. So I figured I would give the CD a shot. Wow I'm blown away by this band. How I never heard them is beyond me. They play fast complicated riffs and the combination of this with Flyn's monster growls with his sometimes soulfull singing, you have something very unique and original. Lastly, I just have to say, Halo is probably one of the greatest songs I've ever heard in my life. It's so epic, I can't stop listening to it.

The songs on The Blackening are very well written. My favorite song lyric wise definatly goes to "Aesthetics of Hate", a song written against William Grim in response to an article where he praised the death of Dimebad Darrell. The whole CD is well written and full of emotion. It's hard to find negatives about it. The singing is the perfect mix of scream, anger-ridden growls and smooth vocals.

As for overall impression, I will go out on a limb(yet a very short one) and say this could possibly be one of the greatest CDs of all time. The band is pretty popular but they still don't get the justice they deserve. I looked really hard to find some negatives and really just couldnt do it. One thing that's for sure, I am definatly going to get the rest of the Machine Head cd's and I suggest any metal fan to give this album a listen.

DreadBass
    although i'm a HUGE metallica fan, it somewhat pains me to say The Blackening is the best metal albulm i've ever had the honor of listening to, Machine F***ing Head!
    revengedspite
    I saw them when they were in Australia with slipknot. They started with clenching and it was so amazing live, the mosh pit was almost as good as the album
    Karlsteel
    Best album ever. I know that sounds like a ridiculous thing to say. It isn't. What are the other candidates? Led Zep IV has a couple of boring tracks and doesn't have enough 'rock', Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (or any Sabbath album) has about 4 or 5 masterpieces and a couple of duff tracks, Master Of Puppets is amazing, but some songs sound so far beneath Battery and the title track, Apetite for Destruction isn't really all that amazing, Vulgar Display Of Power is amazing again but let down in places, and can't think of many more albums that people would say is the best ever. The Blackening has 10 minute songs that don't get boring, it has the heaviest riffs of any album, amazing solos in every song, catchy choruses, acoustic guitars, and the best breakdowns imaginable. Seen them live twice since this album came out, and it feels like something special! 11/10
    Karlsteel
    dragonslayer999
    this is one of the GREATEST ALBUMS OF ALL TIME this album is that same godly level of brilliance as rust in peace, ride the lightning, reign in blood or powerslave. If you don't agree with me, then i will have to fight you. MACHINE FUCKING HEAD