The Blackening review by Machine Head

• Released: Mar 27, 2007
Machine Head: The Blackening

Machine Head is a thrashy progressive metal band who has one of the best metal CD's of all time, and that is The Blackening. Rob Flynn actually states that they listened to Rush's album, A Farewell To Kings while writing this album. It's hands-down the best metal album of the new millenium, and they're saying their next one will be even better. For the sound, I don't know how they make it sound this good. The guitars have so many harmonics in them i can't even count. It's crazy. Dave McClain is a showoff on this album, and it works too. His drumming will blow anyone away, except for Neil Peart, that is. This album has a nice tone, not very rough, it's a clean distortion, which fits really well. The solos are impossible, Halo has some of the best guitar soloing I have ever heard, but Clenching the fists of dissent has the best opening riff, excluding that acoustic intro.

Overall, the album has amazing singing and lyrics, there isn't a song on here that has poor lyrics, Halo and Now I Lay Thee Down have the best lyrics and vocals. You can't deny the raw power of Rob Flynn's voice. Beautiful Mourning has the best lyrics over Halo and Now I Lay Thee Down though. The amazing "f--k You All!" at the beginning foretells that song is going to be pure thrash, and you got it right. Halo has some amazing lyrics as well, but Now I lay Thee Down has the best singing.

Now to break it down: 01. Clenching The Fists Of Dissent: I about shit bricks when i first heard this opening riff. I heard the acoustic intro, and being me, I already wrote it off as a gay song, but decided to give it a chance. I was wrong, and was eating my words. Best riff on the whole album, amazing two solos, and the breakdown where Phil Demmel and Adam Duce shout "Fight, Fight, Fight!" is orgasmistic. One problem, it's way too dragged out. 9.5/10 02. Beautiful Mourning: the first time I heard this was on Guitar Hero Metallica. Never thought you could get interested into Machine head off a video game? Think again. This song is amazing in every way, has a sweet solo, and the opening riff is amazing. 9/10 03. Aesthetics Of Hate: nice intro, love the way the drums enter. Just too dragged out though. The guitar work is awesome, no denying that. Just listen to Dave thrash around on the drums, that's the best part. 9/10 04. Now I Lay Thee Down: a softer song, but the chorus makes up for that. Best vocals here, a truly amazing song, but I'm not that into the clean riff. 8/10 05. Slanderous: the worst song on the album, but still isn't that bad. I don't listen to this song very much, so I'll leave it at that. 7.5/10 06. Halo: and here it is. Just listen to it and you will get what I mean. The intro with the bass is soooo awesome, the one time you actually hear Duce. The solo is better than any other, and the length of the song is perfect. 10/10 07. Wolves: a good follow-up to Halo, amazing guitar, parts at breakneck speed, this song isn't memorable, but it sure is amazing guitar. Not great vocals however. 8.5/10 08. A Farewell To Arms: a perfect way to close this amazing album. Man, I gotta tell ya this song is perfect. If you hate this song, just get off this page. It has amazing acoustics, and where it has distortion, it blows you away. 9.5/10 Most impressive songs are Clenching The Fists Of Dissent Beautiful Mourning Halo A Farewell To Arms I would definitely buy this again if I lost it.

SGofawesome
    dementiacaptain wrote: dude im just glad someone wrote a song called halo that isnt about a videogame.
    HAA That's hilarious!
    rocker222
    wow so amazing. thats all i can say im speechless after giving it a listen
    Fazemelta666
    9 tracks? When I downloaded it, there was only 8! The Deluxe Edition had an extra 2 (Hallowed.. and Battery), but for the main album there was only 8. What's the ninth track?
    NickCarolan
    Yes, return of Machine Head! I was sick of the rapping they were doing. Also, check out the baritone Epiphone model Robb is releasing.
    metalforlife18
    No album can be called perfect... The Blackening however, is oh so ****ing close. Love this album til the day I die.
    svelle
    Shazwazza wrote: since some band released an album called Master Of Puppets back in 1986
    boooooring.