The More Things Change review by Machine Head

• Released: Mar 25, 1997
Machine Head: The More Things Change

The sound, well, it's not very hard to describe, pretty f--king brutal. Basically, typical Machine Head. This album was the Head's follow up to the fantastic Burn My Eyes and Believe Me, it does not disappoint, it terrifies. Well, it is obviously very heavy, the guitars are as usual tuned to drop B and the result is riffs that make your breakfast come up to the back of your throat - no matter what time of day. It is by far the evilest album Machine Head has released, believe me it will terrify and disturb you.

Well, the usual Robb Flynn genius pour from the speakers. Like I said, the whole album has a very evil feeling to it and this is quite different from Burn My Eyes' agressiveness that made u wanna thrash the place. Don't get me wrong, it still has tonnes of agression, the screaming is astonishing. Now we are used to Robb Flynn's melodical mastery as well as the agressiveness, this is pure agreesion and evil, he doesn't slow down at all. This whole album does not let you have a breather, just like Robb Flynn is stopping himself from resting so is the listener, he basically doesnt shut up, which is a good thing. The downside to the evil lyrics and agressive sound is that you cant shove the record on any time you want, you have to be in the right mood, it really does act as a drug, it will really change your moods, Robb Flynn tends to have that effect on listerners.

This album is in a league of its own, You can not compare it to anything else out there, not even Machine Heads other stuff. It is simply unique. The album does not slip at all and is near perfection all the way through. The opening Ten Ton Hammer, is exactly that, a Ten Ton Hammer that nails the shit out of you. Fucking brutal and along with Take My Scars and the lyrically scarce but still awesome Bow Down To None. This album does belong in all metal heads collections. It is one of the most underrated albums ever released. People compare everything of Machine Heads to Burn My Eyes and Supercharger, however this extremely important album that helped guide the band to later genius extractions is totally overlooked. Fantastic it is and if someone stole it, I would buy another, find them stick ths album on, and beat the shit out of them, then carve in their back.

Captain Sadler
    One of the few reviews of Machine Head album's I've read that's positive. For some reason, there's a lot of hate out there for MH, and especially for this album, from those who consider themselves "purists" of metal and think some god-awful garbage like Burzum is better than this "mallcore". Ok, point 1: Bullet For My Valentine is mallcore. Killswitch Engage is mallcore. Breaking Benjamin is mallcore. Even Slipknot is mallcore (and I like Slipknot). Machine Head is not mallcore; they're nowhere near mainstream enough to be mallcore. Got it? Ok. Point 2: I've also heard of people talking about how annoying Flynn's "rapping" on this album is. Well, they must hate the rapping on Kill 'Em All and Peace Sells too, because it seems to me to be the same type of "rapping" There seems to be some sort of problem these days with what's considered "rap" Apparently if you sing fast, it's rap... I don't even understand it when people call KoRn "rap-metal", cause it's not. J. Davis doesn't rap, Flynn didn't rap (we won't mention Burning Red or Supercharger...), Hetfield doesn't rap, and neither does Mustaine.
    MACHINEDETH
    Yeah, i totally agree with ya 1st point! But i think they meant the sing 'Colors' which was a cover from Ice-T and was rapped by Rob. He said that if Machine would do rap, it'd sound like dat. And I must say, i ****in loved it! At first I kinda despited it, but after listening to it more often (like with every good shit) I heard that mother****in anger and the awesome lyrics from Ice-T, and believe me Robb did a ****in respectful job, in my opinion its better than the original! Anyways, **** that. Man i must say, this album is a ****in classic bitch! i love those hard, raw and mad first MH albums, sometimes I remember the times, when I started listening to these masterpieces and today i would ****in like to weep like a small child, because those days are ****in gone and i unfortunately dont hear that scary, ununderstandable thing. it all became conversant. but im so glad i still feel that extremely emotional, angry and sad, sound. Robb is just such a great musician! \m/