Through The Ashes Of Empires review by Machine Head

• Released: Dec 16, 2003
Machine Head: Through The Ashes Of Empires

That pretty much sums up the sound of this album. It is ridiculously powerful and loud. This is Heavy Metal at its finest. The guitars are all downtuned to around Drop B and the result is bone shatterring riffs and the drumming pounds your head again and again. Imperium is the song that made me buy the album, my friend let me hear it, and the next day I went out and bought the album for that one song, the rest of the album was just as good as the unblelievable opener, if not better. The only way Machine Head can top the sound on this album is at a live show. Definately music to get your head kicked in to.

Rob Flynn is simply a genius. He is fantastic at melodic singing and screaming until his lungs burst. He is possibly one of the best metal singers around. The lyrics on the album are extremely personal, very in fact. Mostly realting to Flynn's childhood. On tracks such as "Left Unfinished" and "Days Turn Blue To Grey" Flynn lashes out at his biological parents - "F--ck you cocksucker, F*uck you you whore" - deep stuff. This man opens up on this record and the way the lyrics complement the music is pure genius - quite remarkable in fact. Definately metal perfection.

Not just the best Machine Head record to ever be released, but the one of the best metal album to ever grace the music scene. Yes my metal headed friends, this album is up there with the likes of 'Burn My Eyes', Metallica's 'Master Of Puppets' and of course Slayer's 'Reign In Blood'. Yes, this album is already a classic, if you consider yourself to be a metal fan, this should be in your collection, go buy it, and get your ears bleeding, head banging and fists in the air. Perfected Metal.

nothingface187
    This album is pretty boss, I brought it the first week it came out, and when i listen to it now. It brings back memories, Cool review.