Through The Ashes Of Empires review by Machine Head

• Released: Dec 16, 2003
Machine Head: Through The Ashes Of Empires

This is seriously one amazing album. No doubt about it. It's just simply brilliant to say the least. This is Machine Head at their best I would say. Each song on the album is made in a fantastic way and the way the songs are placed works well as the songs seem to go into each other well. Amazing riffs created by the brilliant Robb Flynn and Phil Demmel such as those on Imperium which starts slow and peaceful then goes into heavy distortion with powerful riffs and cool harmonics and ripping guitar solos such as on In The Presence Of My Enemies or Vim. Sheer brilliance. All the sogs on this album are just amazing though what annoys me is that Seasons Wither, which is an amazing track is only on the american release. Still though all the tracks on this album are amazing. This album is truly in a league of its own.

The lyrics on Through The Ashes Of Empires are amazing and really easy to relate to. Days Turn Blue To Gray seems to talk about an abusive father and how a family is falling apart, Left Unfinished talks about Robbs hate for his natural parents and In The Presence Of My Enemies seems to talk of hating your enemies until the day they die. The lyrics are very deep and Robb has seemed to have gone all out. They are very well constucted and go really well with the guitars. Every riff goes beautifully with the lyrics. From Robbs raging screaming to his melodic singing, everything fits together. Like one gaint puzzle and all the pieces fit in together perfectly.

My overall impression of Through The Ashes Of Empires? Just sheer brilliance. It is Machine Heads finest work and it should belong in any metal lovers album collection whether or not they like Machine head. The highlights of the album would be Imperium, Elegy, In The Presence Of My Enemies, Days Turn Blue To Gray and Vim. Brilliant songs with an amazing amount of work put into them with the brutal riffs, amazing solos and erie effects. Theres nothin I hate about it and if stolen or broken would definatlely buy it again. Trust me its worth the money.