Unto The Locust review by Machine Head

• Released: Sep 23, 2011
Machine Head: Unto The Locust

Being the follow up of The Blackening, it has a lot to live up to, and for the most part it succeeds. 1. I am Hell - It starts off with some haunting, and eerie chants in Latin. When the band comes in it is very powerful, but the main riff and the middle of the song, is very boring and uninteresting, but the song ends really great and powerful like the beginning. It just feels like the the song was just filler for the amazing beginning and end of the song. 7/10 2. Be still and Know - By far the best song on the album. The intro is great, the main riff is heavy and powerful, the bridge riff is interesting/different and i really like it. The solo is similar to Aesthetics of hate, and sounds great. There isn't anything negative I can say about this song. 10/10 3. Locust - The first single and one of the best tracks. The clean intro is eerie. The main riff of the song isn't the best but it isnt bad either. The Chorus is the best part of the song. It uses the same octave riff as the intro, and the lyrics are probably the best on the album. 10/10 4. This is the End - This song is Machine Head. Everything about this song is typical Machine Head. The acoustic intro reminds me of battery. The main riff of the song is really similar to Seasons Wither, and one of the riffs off of Imperium. Very thrashy song. Not a big fan of the chorus vocals or riff they just sound out of place to me. 9/10 5. Darkness Within - The ballad of the album, and the song thats getting a lot of hate. I for the most part like the song. The beginning of the song with just acoustic is great, the build up of the song is what I don't like. I don't like the guitar in the buildup at all. The half way to end of the song is where this song shines. Powerful riffs, powerful vocals and chorus, and some amazing lyrics. 8.5/10 6. Pearls Before the Swine - The second best track on the album. It has a great start and transition to the main riff. The main riff is so simple and brutal sounding. The pre chorus riffs are my favorite parts of the song. The first one is a breakdown type riff , and goes to this calmer sounding one. It's a great transition over. Several great riffs towards the end. Then it's the breakdown. The breakdown is the most metal a breakdown can be. It is all kinds of amazing. 10/10 7. Who we Are - It starts of with children singing "This is who we are". And its a great intro to the song. The main riff is yet another amazing one on this album, especially when it hits the pre chorus and the riff is played in a higher octave. The chorus is very simple, but great, and has some good lyrics. The solo is powerful and fantastic. 10/10

The lyrics were all around my favorite, and best of any other Machine Head album. The lyrics fit in so well with the theme of the songs and album. Robb Flynns best vocal work to date.

Every album Machine Head releases is better than the last, and this is no exception. If the only song on this album was Be still and Know I still would have payed full price for it. The only thing I didn't like about this album was track 1. It was overall a unimpressive song and was mostly filler. I had high hopes for the track and I was overall disappointed with it. I would most defiantly buy it again if it was stolen.

xXChimairaXx
    Don't worry too much, they'll Follow the Reaper soon.[/quote] I hate arguments, but If You Want Peace, Prepare for War.
    bdof
    1 shitty review ruins the all-round score. The user rating is where it's at. Damn fine album
    Camron62\m/
    I hate arguments, but If You Want Peace, Prepare for War.[/quote] all genius's.
    the_burning_one
    I liked almost every song on this album. Am I the only one that thinks that "Who we are" is terrible?
    slipknot836
    Camron62\m/ wrote: xXChimairaXx wrote: I Thanatos wrote: IN54N1TY wrote: AsOneIStand wrote: Parab0la09 wrote: AsOneIStand wrote: espal wrote: Mr Winters wrote: iCarebear : [quote]Beyond_Insanity wrote: Says the guy with the name "blooddrunk"... lol, "in your face" much? Yeah, he's better off dead ...and Ugly You need to look him right in the eyes and ask him "Was It Worth It?" he might just have some Skeletons in the Closet In that case he'll be Banned From Heaven. Wow, you guys are like some sort of Hate Crew or something... Don't worry too much, they'll Follow the Reaper soon. I hate arguments, but If You Want Peace, Prepare for War.
    all genius's.[/quote] Shame on you all making fun of CoB's song titles... All of you deserve to be... Needled 24/7
    Camron62\m/
    Yeah, he's better off dead[/quote] genius lmao