Attics To Eden review by Madina Lake

• Released: May 5, 2009
Madina Lake: Attics To Eden

Madina Lake may have grown up, sonically, but that's not to suggest that they've regressed into a serious, staid sound that will attract old folks to the lair! The Chicago-based band doles out fun, booty-shaker music and manages to remain as energetic as an ADD-afflicted adolescent binging on caffeinated, sugary soft drinks with songs like "Welcome to Oblivion" and "Let's Get Outta Here." But things aren't quite so frivolous, footloose and fancy free any longer. Attics to Eden abandons some of the pogo-style pop punk that the band offered up on their 2007 debut and switches it out for layered, nuanced song structures and an obvious appreciation for Brit pop icons Muse, in a sound that is by nature a little more somber and thoughtful. Attics to Eden maintains an artier sound and while the band may fall victim to the haters accusing them of trend-hopping or eventually have to deal with their younger fans scratching their heads and wondering what the hell happened to the band that they loved two years ago, the album does nothing if not grab your attention with its neo-nu wave vibe and almost modern disco dance moments. There's a lot going on with Attics to Eden and it may cause the band to develop an entirely new listening base to go along with their current fans.

Singalongs? Check. Lyrics that the "kids" can relate to? Check. Harmonies? Yep, those are there, too. Attics to Eden is a participatory record that invites the listener to have his or her voice be hears via the singalong. While references are made to things like drinking martinis, vocalist Nathan Leone waxes about plenty of other things that the throng of Madina Lake fans can relate to and the band will always and ultimately connect with its fans in the most direct of ways with the ability to bob along to these tunes.

Madina Lake obviously tossed a whole lot of caution right into the wind when the initiated the process of writing and recording Attics to Eden, which marks a sharp shift to the left. It was a gusty move that certainly deserves a round of applause, since it's always easier to stay where you are and within your comfort zones rather than take a flying leap into the great, wide unkown. It may take some time for the record to find its audience, since there is a large musical difference from the last album to this one, but it is a step up for the band. Rather than recycling the same open three chords and riffs from their debut, they chose to take a measured risk and lean heavily on some precious Brit pop influences. Whether or not fans will react favorably or whether new fans will flock to the band as a result remains to be seen. Regardless, trying something completely new definitely captures our attention.

RAH7747
    padgea7x
    I like this album and the reviewer gave it a fair review. Yeah its different to their first but still great never the less
    Amuro Jay
    I still need to hear this CD. Hopefully the change isn't a bad one. Their first album was pretty addictive if you like to sing along.
    braindamage828
    The two brothers went to my school so I've been following them for a while now. Just saw them a few months ago in Lancaster too. For our prom, they gave out free EPs. They have some good songs on their first cd so im excited to see whats coming on their second one. I heard some of their new stuff and they have what it takes to get bigger and well known. give their first cd a listen to before venturing to the second one. songs like "House of Cards" or "Here I Stand" are really good. they have my support.
    Anarchaos
    This album is awesome, i dont want the same thing as the first album and nothings better than putting play all on my zune to here the previous album and this one consecutively.
    FrosteeFresh
    i was a big fan of the first CD. this one isn't as much my style, but it's still a good CD. i really like the song "Legends" on the new one.
    orion284
    I really liked their first album and I like what I heard of the free preview on their page on here. alternative/pop-punk is my guilty plessure and these guys do it pretty good. by the way, don't judge on their appearances
    Oh-dear-lord
    Its a good album, quite different from the first which is good as they're giving fans something new but I don't feel that its as good as the first album. And I don't see how there is a comparison to Muse, Madina Lake are nothing like them. And their hair is ace!!!
    bloodred16
    It's an awesome album, in my opinion a lot better than the first. I doesn't remind me of Muse, well, Let's Get Outta Here in the first verse reminds me of Time Is Running Out - but I'm not saying it a bad thing. Their cover of March Of The Pigs (Nine Inch Nails) was sick!
    lincjones
    Great CD. different from their first CD which is good noone wants a band to stay the same. different but its still noticable that its them
    -Later44
    There's a lot more dance beat and kinda dark atmosphere in the songs of the new album, but you still hear it's madina lake. great CD!
    link no1
    RAH7747 wrote: They made a good cover of CSIT.. iron maiden's song 'caught somewhere in time' if u dont know wat i'm talkin abt. that's all i know abt them.. But really alternative isn't my type..
    did they? me and everybody i know think it sucks