Destination: Beautiful review by Mae

• Released: Feb 25, 2003
Mae: Destination: Beautiful

I bought this CD from a friends recommendation and it was in my stereo for about 2 months. The only reason I replaced it was because I bought the new Mae CD, Everglow. The sound of this CD is phenomenal. I was absolutely astounded when I heard that most of it is live performances. Unfortunately I missed my chance to see them in a local show. The guitar work on this album isn't quite something I would call great or even good. It's definetely not hard to play. But it puts me in a trance and it's addicting. Put it in the stereo and white-knuckle the dash because before you know it you're on a rollercoaster of emotion and heartbreak, and have fallen head over heels in love with these guys by the 3rd track.

I am pretty sure the singer is a guy named Dave and the other guys do a lot of harmony. The singing is good, on the break of great, but the lyrics that they write are ones that utilize figurative language to it's fullest. Imagery, appealing to the senses is used alot. Describing settings and storylines. Anyone who has gone through break-ups, lost a loved one, or even been betrayed by someone they held dearly, will connect deeply to this album. Crank up the volume and let the emotion spill out of your speakers as heartbreaks and tears enfold your body and mind with lyrics that make you feel like someone wrote a biography on your life in a four minute song.

My overall view of this album is a good one. I might compare it to Copeland's album, "Beneath The Medicine Tree" but this CD is absolutely ahead of the competition if there is any. It's one of the CD's that you can stick in the stereo and listen straight through without skipping bad songs, or sitting through something boring. One of the songs that I don't really care for is This Time Is The Last Time, track 2. I don't like it because of the sound. I like the wave remix they did that is on their purevolume profile. Two songs that I really feel highlight the mood of the album are tracks 7 and 8. Skyline Drive (track7) is a good slow track that makes you want to dance with that special someone and hold them close. Track 8, is a song called Soundtrack For Our Movie. This is a very upbeat tune that I really enjoy. It seems to be about a guy so excited to have this person, that he needs to share everything with her and he seems to be more than willing to do so. I quote, "This is the soundtrack to our movie, will ya tell me when we get to the best part, I'll play it for ya." This is a song that would be themed to conquering the world. It's a song that bring you up from any mood. I would buy this album as many times it took as long as I had it nearby. This is one of the albums I would take with me if I would be stranded on a desert island.