Destination: Beautiful Review

9.1
 9.4
 8.8
Destination: Beautiful Reviewed by: indiecult99, on april 29, 2005

Sound: I bought this CD from a friends recommendation and it was in my stereo for about 2 months. The only reason I replaced it was because I bought the new Mae CD, Everglow. The sound of this CD is phenomenal. I was absolutely astounded when I heard that most of it is live performances. Unfortunately I missed my chance to see them in a local show. The guitar work on this album isn't quite something I would call great or even good. It's definetely not hard to play. But it puts me in a trance and it's addicting. Put it in the stereo and white-knuckle the dash because before you know it you're on a rollercoaster of emotion and heartbreak, and have fallen head over heels in love with these guys by the 3rd track. // 8

Lyrics: I am pretty sure the singer is a guy named Dave and the other guys do a lot of harmony. The singing is good, on the break of great, but the lyrics that they write are ones that utilize figurative language to it's fullest. Imagery, appealing to the senses is used alot. Describing settings and storylines. Anyone who has gone through break-ups, lost a loved one, or even been betrayed by someone they held dearly, will connect deeply to this album. Crank up the volume and let the emotion spill out of your speakers as heartbreaks and tears enfold your body and mind with lyrics that make you feel like someone wrote a biography on your life in a four minute song. // 10

Overall Impression: My overall view of this album is a good one. I might compare it to Copeland's album, "Beneath The Medicine Tree" but this CD is absolutely ahead of the competition if there is any. It's one of the CD's that you can stick in the stereo and listen straight through without skipping bad songs, or sitting through something boring. One of the songs that I don't really care for is This Time Is The Last Time, track 2. I don't like it because of the sound. I like the wave remix they did that is on their purevolume profile. Two songs that I really feel highlight the mood of the album are tracks 7 and 8. Skyline Drive (track7) is a good slow track that makes you want to dance with that special someone and hold them close. Track 8, is a song called Soundtrack For Our Movie. This is a very upbeat tune that I really enjoy. It seems to be about a guy so excited to have this person, that he needs to share everything with her and he seems to be more than willing to do so. I quote, "This is the soundtrack to our movie, will ya tell me when we get to the best part, I'll play it for ya." This is a song that would be themed to conquering the world. It's a song that bring you up from any mood. I would buy this album as many times it took as long as I had it nearby. This is one of the albums I would take with me if I would be stranded on a desert island. // 10

Destination: Beautiful Reviewed by: The_bunglist, on march 26, 2004

Sound: Mae have a very idividual style, mixing many different sounds but all at once sounding like a very complete package. Each song has it's own feeling, direction and sound. // 10

Lyrics: Nothing too lyrically impressive here, run of the mill stuff throughout. Songs about girls and all that, the guy has a great voice though, which makes up for any short comings on the lyrical side of things. His style is very similar to Ben from Death Cab For Cutie, quite high and soft. // 8

Overall Impression: Your urge to skip any tracks on this masterpiece of an album will be non existant as each song brings something different to the table. Highlights include the opening track "Embers and Envelopes", "Runaway" and the somber and beautiful "Skyline Drive". Proper top draw stuff. // 10

Destination: Beautiful Reviewed by: Riplackish, on february 19, 2005

Sound: Half of this CD is remixes, live recordings, or acoustic versions of Mae's Songs. Before I looked at the CD case, I had no idea that the songs were live, they were that good. Mae puts together the best of many worlds: rock, new age, and electronic sounds. They have the guitar, bass, and drums of a rock group. Then they also have some serious new age piano/keyboard that blows my ears away. // 10

Lyrics: This CD didn't come with a lyrics typed in, so I was kinda disappointed in that but, no biggy. The Vocals are a near perfect example of the best rock vocals. They have tone. They have pitch. They even enunsiate their words so you can understand what they are saying. Even though the vocals are impressive, they lack energy in some parts. You can feel where the vocals just need to be louder and distinct, but it doesn't happen. // 8

Overall Impression: I have only heard the other album, but as far as I know, they are both are impressive beyond all reason. This CD has yet to get out of my stereo and my head. These guys have something that not everyone else has: exceptional talent in all aspects. // 10

Destination: Beautiful Reviewed by: KingsOfRonin, on october 26, 2005

Sound: I really don't have to say much. Just one word would tell you why I'm giving the sound a ten: live. Yes, thats right, they did this album live. They nailed every harmony and note perfectly and the songs are absolutely beautiful sounding. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are well thought out, if anything. This is the most motivational album ever. It will inspire you in any situation you might be in. This album is a soundtrack for anyones life. // 10

Overall Impression: This CD is in my car stereo, and has been in my car stereo since it came out. Even when their new album came out, I still listen to this one. Every song on this album is wonderful, and I find myself listening to this album all the way through without skipping songs. There are some that stick out though like, "Summertime" which is in my opinion the best song on the album. I never rate anything a 10 so I'm going to give it a 9.9 but I can't so it'll be a 9.6. // 9

Comments