The Everglow review by Mae

• Released: Mar 29, 2005
Mae: The Everglow

I had Mae's album Destination: Beautiful before I picked this one up (which was due to my first listen to 'The Ocean', track 7 on 'The Everglow'. The band has really come together in this album, using mostly harmonies or catchy guitar/piano melodies. The album itself is driven by the beautiful piano sound Mae is recognized by, but the catchy guitar riffs won't disappoint Mae fans either. Percussion also takes the lead during moments (such as in the introduction to 'The Breakdown'), and also has a stunning sound. The band has really come together to produce a pleasing sound.

I love the vocals on this album. Many songs are very harmonic vocally (such as 'The Sun And The Moon' as well as 'The Ocean' and 'Suspension'), and pull together nicely. The vocals are soft and smooth due to the lead singer (Dave) and his beautiful talent. The lyrics and music work hand in hand. When the vocal work finishes or pauses, the guitars or piano step up and picks up where left off. The lyrics and the music fill a similar mood, even at small moments where the lyrics fall short of possibilities. For example, the pre-chorus in 'Ready And Waiting To Fall' holds beauty in the interworking between the guitars and piano with the lyrics and vocals.

I was expecting something big from Mae since Destination. This album doesn't fail. For piano-driven, soft ballads, 'We're So Far Away' and the 'The Sun And The Moon' are definite favorites. I recommend 'The Ocean' for an example of the togetherness of the band. It boasts the blend of vocals, drums, guitars, as well as the piano. For nice guitar melodies, 'This Is The Countdown' and 'Mistakes We Knew We Were Making' includes guitar-driven intros and verses. Other notable tracks include 'Suspension', 'Breakdown', 'The Everglow', 'Ready And Waiting To Fall', and 'Anything'. As proven, it's diffucult to recommend any tracks since they all do their part on the album. I highly recommend that past Mae fans and fans of piano-driven rock give this album a try. Very impressive album in my opinion.