The Everglow Review

Released: Mar 29, 2005
Label: Tooth & Nail
Genre: Rock
Styles: Indie Rock, Emo
Despite its unusual, albeit palatable start, The Everglow is a shining moment in modern rock.
 9.5
 9.4
 9.6
The Everglow Reviewed by: The AfterLight, on july 27, 2005

Sound: I had Mae's album Destination: Beautiful before I picked this one up (which was due to my first listen to 'The Ocean', track 7 on 'The Everglow'. The band has really come together in this album, using mostly harmonies or catchy guitar/piano melodies. The album itself is driven by the beautiful piano sound Mae is recognized by, but the catchy guitar riffs won't disappoint Mae fans either. Percussion also takes the lead during moments (such as in the introduction to 'The Breakdown'), and also has a stunning sound. The band has really come together to produce a pleasing sound. // 10

Lyrics: I love the vocals on this album. Many songs are very harmonic vocally (such as 'The Sun And The Moon' as well as 'The Ocean' and 'Suspension'), and pull together nicely. The vocals are soft and smooth due to the lead singer (Dave) and his beautiful talent. The lyrics and music work hand in hand. When the vocal work finishes or pauses, the guitars or piano step up and picks up where left off. The lyrics and the music fill a similar mood, even at small moments where the lyrics fall short of possibilities. For example, the pre-chorus in 'Ready And Waiting To Fall' holds beauty in the interworking between the guitars and piano with the lyrics and vocals. // 10

Overall Impression: I was expecting something big from Mae since Destination. This album doesn't fail. For piano-driven, soft ballads, 'We're So Far Away' and the 'The Sun And The Moon' are definite favorites. I recommend 'The Ocean' for an example of the togetherness of the band. It boasts the blend of vocals, drums, guitars, as well as the piano. For nice guitar melodies, 'This Is The Countdown' and 'Mistakes We Knew We Were Making' includes guitar-driven intros and verses. Other notable tracks include 'Suspension', 'Breakdown', 'The Everglow', 'Ready And Waiting To Fall', and 'Anything'. As proven, it's diffucult to recommend any tracks since they all do their part on the album. I highly recommend that past Mae fans and fans of piano-driven rock give this album a try. Very impressive album in my opinion. // 10

The Everglow Reviewed by: GetLostInIt776, on august 13, 2005

Sound: The sound on this album is phenomenal. It's not nessecarily groundbreaking, or incredibly unique, but it works really well with the Dave's voice. I really like the sound of We're So Far Away, the second track on the album. Overall, the sound is good, and it works with Dave's voice, but could be more unique. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are absoloutly fabulous. They are obviously well thought out, and if they're rushed, it doesn't show. I really like the lyrics in every song. The lyrics generally fit well with the beat of the song, except for a few instances which are really trivial. Dave has a great voice, I really like how it integrates with the guitar and keyboard work. // 10

Overall Impression: I love the mood of this album, it conveys a mood of magic, and it feels like a storybook, because the prologue track is just like an audio book. My favorite songs are "We're So Far Away," "Suspension," "The Ocean" and "Cover Me." I love the lyrics of the album, but the guitar sounds are sometime monotonous. The keyboard is really good too, that serves to break the monotony. // 8

Comments