Real Life review by Magazine

• Users' score: 10 (1 vote)
Magazine: Real Life

I had never heard of Magazine until I heard Ministry's version of "The Light Pours Out of Me". I really loved that song and decided to pursue Magazine. What a great find. A perfect blend of new wave, post-punk, rock'n'roll, and punk. Howard DeVoto's strange lyrics, John McGeoch's inventive guitar playing, and Dave Formula's over the top keyboard playing is what stands out on this album. It is a classic.

Howard DeVoto is one of those guys who writes abstract lyrics. Wonderful and creative. The music set the tone. I can't think of another band who plays new wave music that you can head bang to at the same time. "Motorcade" is a perfect example of this. DeVoto is not the greatest singer in the world. He will never be confused with Roy Orbison. But with what he is singing about and the music the band plays, he is perfect. As a matter of fact, he STILL sounds the same.

I have written a few reviews but this is a review for an album that is considered a classic among many many people. I can totally see why. Though, sadly, not a lot of people I know have heard of this band. Most impressive songs? Personally, "Motorcade", "My Tulpa", "The Light Pours Out of Me", and "Parade". But I like the whole thing though "The Great Beautician in the Sky" is just okay to me. If it were stolen I would buy it again. Especially the remastered one.