Warkult review by Malevolent Creation

• Released: Jul 27, 2004
Malevolent Creation: Warkult

Malevolent Creation are one of the many great Florida death metal bands from the '80s and early '90s. They have a very cool sound that combines death metal with thrash and speed metal and that makes you want to headbang like crazy from start to finish on all of their CDs. They sound sort of like Slayer except a lot heavier and more brutal and the vocals are all death metal screaming as opposed to singing. The last song on this cd, Jack The Ripper, is a cover of an obscure Australian metal band called Hobbs Angel of Death which I thought was interesting. Even though their guitarist Phil Fasciana is the only original member of the band since their 1991 debut, The Ten Commandments, their style hasn't changed much since then.

Lyrically they have stuck to their theme of war and combat and killing which has been what they have written their lyrics about pretty much since the beginning. Most of them are about waging war and conquering in order to reign supreme especially in the song Supremacy through Annihilation and these lyrics fit their fast, brutal, and destuctive death metal riffs that their current guitarists, Phil Phil Fasciana and Jon Rubin have become experts at writing. Their lead vocalist, Brett Hoffman has a great death metal scream that fits their sound well.

Bands like these guys and many other extreme and underground death metal and grindcore bands are a huge breath of fresh air to me nowadays when it seems like the only metal anyone listens to or that gets any attention is that soft, melodic, mainstream, and commercial bands like Trivium, Lamb of God, Killswitch Engage, All that Remains, Children of Bodom etc. and I hate those bands and the heavier and more extreme bands like Malevolent Creation deserve more attention. My favorite song on this CD would probably be Shock and Awe. It is one of the fastest and thrashiest songs on the CD and I was in shock and awe the first time I listened to it. I would reccomend this band to fans of Slayer, Vader, Deicide, Dying Fetus, Cannibal Corpse, and Hate Eternal. And in conclusion, Malevolent Creation is a great death metal band and I would definitely by this CD again if it was lost or stolen.

sevenchurches
    I thought this album was below par, for modern death metal and especially for MC. Everything without Brett Hoffman was cack. And Mark Simpson is so good