Warkult Review

Malevolent Creation: Warkult
Release Date: Jul 27, 2004
Label: Nuclear Blast America
Genres: Death Metal/Black Metal
Warkult is something like their tenth LP of original material, and the band's corrosive brand of classic American death metal remains relatively intact.
 8.4
 8.4
 8.3
Warkult Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 19, 2007

Sound: Malevolent Creation are one of the many great Florida death metal bands from the '80s and early '90s. They have a very cool sound that combines death metal with thrash and speed metal and that makes you want to headbang like crazy from start to finish on all of their CDs. They sound sort of like Slayer except a lot heavier and more brutal and the vocals are all death metal screaming as opposed to singing. The last song on this cd, Jack The Ripper, is a cover of an obscure Australian metal band called Hobbs Angel of Death which I thought was interesting. Even though their guitarist Phil Fasciana is the only original member of the band since their 1991 debut, The Ten Commandments, their style hasn't changed much since then. // 9

Lyrics: Lyrically they have stuck to their theme of war and combat and killing which has been what they have written their lyrics about pretty much since the beginning. Most of them are about waging war and conquering in order to reign supreme especially in the song Supremacy through Annihilation and these lyrics fit their fast, brutal, and destuctive death metal riffs that their current guitarists, Phil Phil Fasciana and Jon Rubin have become experts at writing. Their lead vocalist, Brett Hoffman has a great death metal scream that fits their sound well. // 10

Overall Impression: Bands like these guys and many other extreme and underground death metal and grindcore bands are a huge breath of fresh air to me nowadays when it seems like the only metal anyone listens to or that gets any attention is that soft, melodic, mainstream, and commercial bands like Trivium, Lamb of God, Killswitch Engage, All that Remains, Children of Bodom etc. and I hate those bands and the heavier and more extreme bands like Malevolent Creation deserve more attention. My favorite song on this CD would probably be Shock and Awe. It is one of the fastest and thrashiest songs on the CD and I was in shock and awe the first time I listened to it. I would reccomend this band to fans of Slayer, Vader, Deicide, Dying Fetus, Cannibal Corpse, and Hate Eternal. And in conclusion, Malevolent Creation is a great death metal band and I would definitely by this CD again if it was lost or stolen. // 10

Warkult Reviewed by: MHDrunk, on may 27, 2008

Sound: You'd be an idiot to suggest that Malevolent Creation isn't in at the very top of the death metal pack. They've been right up there since 1990 and have never descended from their peak. While their contemporaries experimented, f--ked up and generally fell, Malevolent Creation's viciousness, evilness and brutality (I don't mean that they're brutal death metal, just that they're brutal, if you get my drift) have kept them right up there with the likes of Incantation and Suffocation. While some of their contemporaries put out some disappointing material around this time, Morbid Angel and Immolation especially, Malevolent Creation is still delivering music that lays waste to most other metal of the year. While they don't further their style on this release, it is still very f--king good. The riffs, as you'd expect from Malevolent Creation, are down-tuned, thrashy and old-school with tremolo-picked riffing over the top and pounding drums, all combining to remind the listener of death metal's prime in the early 90s. Compared to some of their other albums, it is a lesser offering. This doesn't mean that it's bad though, as most albums when compared to the likes of The Will to Kill, Envenomed, and The Fine Art of Murder fail miserably. // 8

Lyrics: The vocals are a bit annoying at times but generally they are fine. Sometimes they sound a bit droning and unfortunately there is not much variation, which really is needed when you sing like this guy does. Lyrically, Malevolent Creation expectedly sing about death and destruction. Song titles like Pre-emptive Strike, Ravaged by Conflict and Supremacy Through Annihilation are pretty standard Malevolent Creation and they don't break much new ground here. My review of their lyrics and vocals might sound a bit disappointed but believe me I'm not. While I'm not necessarily impressed, the vocals and lyrics don't detract from the music and are competent at the very least. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall this is not quite the masterpiece that Malevolent Creation's last three albums were, but it is a capable offering that still beats most death metal of the day. Malevolent Creation don't reinvent themselves, they never have, but at the same time they manage not to fall into the kind of formulaic routine that bands like Deicide and Cannibal Corpse have. They manage to entertain, and though I probably wouldn't buy this again if I lost it, I'd probably go and download it. It's not the kind of album that would dominate your stereo for months, but it's definitely worth more than one spin. // 7

Comments