Man Overboard Review

Man Overboard: Man Overboard
Released: Sep 27, 2011
Genre: Pop-Punk
Label: Rise Records
This album to me so far is not quite as good as the prior releases but its still worth listening to. These guys have a great fast and emotional pop-punk sound that is token for the genre.
 Lyrics: 8.5
 8.4
 8.7
reviews (2) user comments vote for this album:
Man Overboard Reviewed by: Cloudkicker, on october 28, 2011

Sound: This band is another one of the bands from the tri-state post-pop punk scene I mentioned in my tigers jaw review if you read it. These guys have a great Fast and emotional pop-punk sound that is token for the genre. This album seems to me to show a little more aggression than previous releases, but without losing that sappy love song pop-punk thing they got going on. I am personally a bigger fan of real talk than this album because I like my punk bands to be totally balls to the wall or sappy and poppy, and with that being said I think these guys bring a happy medium. // 8

Lyrics: The two singers in this band (Nik Bruzzese and Zac Eiestenstein) do a great job, including some awesome gang vocals on a song or two. Now its time to talk about the lyrics, I think the two major things that this band writes about on this record and their others is obviously girls and love stuff and their friends and family. // 7

Overall Impression: This album to me so far is not quite as good as the prior releases but its still worth listening to, these guys are similar to bands like Transit, The Wonder Years, Fireworks and Handguns the newer kind of pop-punk. Buddy Nielson from Senses Fail also gave the band major props so if you don't normally listen to this stuff major you want to take a listen. // 8

Man Overboard Reviewed by: DREWCHRISTIAN, on november 15, 2011

Sound: This is the darkest record that Man Overboard has put out. While a few songs are relatively happy sounding, the rest seem to have a darker sound, which we haven't seen much of on their past releases. It's a pleasant change, and they have pulled it off wonderfully. // 9

Lyrics: On the "Real Talk" record, the lyrics seemed like teenage boyish poetry. And that was one of the things that drew me to Man Overboard. Bold yet simple seems to be their writing style. This new record, however, shows a slight evolution as far as song-writing goes. And it certainly isn't disappointing. All of the songs are spot on relate-able lyrically. And Nik and Zac are excellent singers, and this release really shows it. // 10

Overall Impression: I was highly impressed, seeing as how they joined Rise Records. I feel that the record labels figuratively write the songs for the bands, as a way of making money. But that doesn't seem to be the case with MOB, which is very relieving. My favorite song off the record is "Night Feelings". It outshines all the rest, to me anyway. My least favorite is "Something's Weird", because I just can't get into it at all. Which is a little disappointing. I'm looking forward to the next release from them, which I'm sure will be just as promising. And yes, if someone stole my vinyl, not only would I buy it again, but I would hunt them down and beat the hell out of them. // 10

Comments