I'm Like A Virgin Losing A Child review by Manchester Orchestra

• Released: Dec 31, 2005
Manchester Orchestra: I'm Like A Virgin Losing A Child

For being an indie record and the band's first "big" CD the sound is very crisp, clean, and full. The band is composed of a drummer, bass player, two guitarists, and a keyboardist. This CD is very interesting in that, the entire band recorded the CD as a "live recording". They played the majority of the songs on one track then went back in and dubbed more guitar parts, vocals, and various other little additions that makes this CD sound superb! My only complaint is I have seen them live twice now and every song sounds twice as good live. Not a bad thing but just tells me the CD sound could have been better.

Lead singer Andy Hull. If you saw the man you wouldn't believe what he sounds like. The vocals really are angelic. The lyrics deeper and darker more, provocative than most. The title track "Wolves at Night" has my favorite line in it, "Because we confide in wolves at night, I'm like a virgin losing a child, so lonely, so lonely." It is pretty clear that a lot of the songs touch on religion and Andy's questioning of his own beliefs and his battle to be "better". I guarantee there isn't one complaint about the vocals or lyrics someone could say that I would honestly believe they meant.

I would compare this album to some of the deeper songs off of The Devil And God Are Raging Inside Of Me but a bit more upbeat. The biggest hitters on this CD are "Wolves At Night", the fan favorite "Where Have You Been?", and "Sleeper 1972". The entire CD just puts me in a good mood. You'll find yourself singing along in no time, you can relate to the songs, they make you think. The only thing I can't stand about it is that it eventually comes to an end. I will never lose this CD but if I did, I would probably buy two more, one to listen to and one as a back up.

Brandnewstew55
    agreed, i saw them with brand new and thought they were amazing. One of the best bands live i have ever seen
    spooner954
    if you get a chance to see them when they're actually headlining, it's quite a sight. simply amazing. they've only been to florida twice and the second time they were headlining. it was awesome. 2 encores... nuff said
    jtrocks44
    agreed. i've seen them live more than any other band and they never disappoint me...never.
    Mr.Don'tShootMe
    I agree some songs are more upbeat than Brand New but damn, some of the songs on this CD can be depressing ie, I Can Feel Your Pain.