Mean Everything To Nothing review by Manchester Orchestra

• Released: Apr 21, 2009
Manchester Orchestra: Mean Everything To Nothing

I just recently heard some of Manchester Orchestra's work and I was impressed so I decided to buy this CD since it was on sale at my local Best Buy store. I pushed it into my car's radio and listened to the first song and was blown away with the mixture of anger and upbeat music. It was brilliant and catchy and I loved it. The whole album itself however has it's ups and downs and I realized that as soon as the second song. There are a handful of both great and no so great songs on this album. At some points in the CD Andy Hull's aggressive voice just gets annoying and out of place and sometimes he nails it but there are a lot of places on this CD where they just don't fit in. After listening to this CD for a while I decided to download some of their older works and that blew me away even more, so I'm going to take a guess and say that if you were a big fan of Manchester Orchestra before this CD you won't be completely disappointed but it doesn't really compare to their older work by a long shot. I think the high point of the album is the title track "Everything to Nothing" where everything just seems to fit into place perfectly for a good five and a half minutes. Some close seconds are "Only One" "I've Got Friends" and "Tony the Tiger".

The lyrics are angry and sometimes harsh but fit with most of the music perfectly. When you listen to song, you're not listening to some thrown together song lyrics, you are listening to a sad story that has been well written and could probably be published. This is great because it breaks the mold that so many bands fall into about writing a verse then a chorus and not really keeping on one subject. Andy Hull has a lyrical gift and can write stories with it. The lyrics can be compared to those of "Bright Eyes" and "Death Cab For Cutie".

I think that this album was a good purchase, it has it's high points and it's low points but it can definately pull at your heartstrings and put your repeat option on from time to time. All in all, I'm glad that I bought it, I just wish that they would change a few things about some of the songs. Not a bad CD though.