Gold Against The Soul Review

Manic Street Preachers: Gold Against The Soul
Release Date: Jun 1993
Label: Columbia
Genres: Britpop, Hard Rock, Alternative Pop/Rock
Nevertheless, the rage is more articulate and the sound is stronger, making Gold Against the Soul a flawed but worthy step forward.
 8.8
 9.3
 8.3
review (1) 4 comments vote for this album:
Gold Against The Soul Reviewed by: cabbaman98, on april 17, 2006

Sound: This is probebly the best Manic Street Preachers album, other than their greatest hits one: Forever Delayed. It has some amazing guitaring in it from what I would say is the most unrecognised guitarist ever: James Bradfield. The best song on there in my opinion is Gold Against teh Soul, amazing guitar and music, amazingly catchy and rocky. All the songs on there are absoulutly brillaint though. The worst being La Tristesse Durera, which is still a pretty good song. So that says alot. All lyrics were written by Nicky Wire and Richey James, all music was written by James Dean Bradfield and Sean Moore. And yes the lyrics are still amazingly weird. I won't go on about them because I personaly couldn't care to much what the lyrics are about, but they are weird. Not that that's bad though. My fave lyric has to be "Make Yorkshire into a tourist resort." But if you want to rock harder than any other Manics album then buy this one. It's amazing, no bad song. The solos are really something to hear. The band themselves have described this as their least favourite album and the most unfocused period of their career, with Bradfield saying "All we wanted to do was go under the corporate wing. We thought we could ignore it but you do get affected." // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics, like I said aren't that important to me. But they are pretty interesting. The lyrics of the album are considerably less political than their previous album Generation Terrorists and the album was more reflective of the despair and melancholy of their later work like The Holy Bible, though The Holy Bible was itself highly politicised at times. An exception is the title track ("Gold Against The Soul") which contains lyrics like "Close the pits sanctify roy lynk an OBE" and "White liberal hates slavery/Needs Thai labour to clean his home." "La Tristesse Durera" (literally "The Sadness Goes On") is the title of a biography of Vincent van Gogh, although the song is not about him, but about a war veteran. James's singing int his album is probebly the worst I've heard it in some, it is still brillaint, just not as good. So don't let this put you off. It's still my fave album. // 8

Overall Impression: This si they're best album, it's not loved by everyone though. Some peopel didn't like they're more pop-like sound in this one. The best songs are as follows: Gold Against The Soul, Symphony Of Tourette, Sleepflower. They all rock my socks though. I would definetly buy this again there's no mistake abut that. It's full of catchy songs, great riffs and weird lyrics. What more can you ask for. // 10

Comments