Leaving The 20th Century [DVD] review by Manic Street Preachers

• Released: Jul 3, 2000
  • Content: 9
  • Production Quality: 7
Manic Street Preachers: Leaving The 20th Century [DVD]

This is possibly one of the best performances the Manics may have ever conjured up. James Dean Bradfield describes it extremely well at the end of the gig by announcing to the crowd "This was one of the best nights of our lives", too right mate. This is the first live gig ever played at the Millenium Stadium and this is probebly the reason there's still gigs there today. The gig was actuyally a celebration of the new millenium, taking place on new years eve and continuing through into the new year. James Dean Bradfield is on top form, as always, and really shows off his striking voice, really screaming out osme lines which really rips into you. He also provides us with some amazing guitar skills which we would all be envious of, You Love Us is a great example of this. On the Manics last song they also go live to '2 billion people on the BBC' and blast the whole world away with a sweaty A Design Fir Life.

Content — 9
Aswell as the amazing live performance the DVD has a few extra bits which you may want to check out. Firstly theres the handy 'Lyrics' thingy, which, yeh you've guessed it, puts each line of the lyrics at the bottom of the screen while James sings them, live. Which is nice i suppose. There's also a Discography of all the Manics work up to the date of creation. Which again is nice but realy not that mind blowing. Along with a photo gallery of pictures of the live gig and stuff, which again is not that amaizng, but... nice. Theres also some 'exclusive footage' of Tolerate and Ready For Drowning played live in a studio which are really nice to watch. Then theres an interveiw which is also quite interesting. Overall there's not much to boast from the extras. But the live performance certantly makes up for this. Here's the setlist and a few words. 01. You Stole The Sun From My Heart 02. Faster 03. Everything Must Go 04. Tsunami 05. The Masses Against The Classes 06. The Everlasting 07. Kevin Carter 08. La Tristesse Durera 09. Rock N' Roll Music 10. Ready For Drowning 11. Of Walking Abortion 21. No Surface, All Feeling 13. Motown Junk 14. Motorcycle Emptiness 15. Can't Take My Eyes Off You (Acoustic) 16. Small Black Flowers That Grow In The Sky (Acoustic) 17. Australia 18. Elvis Impersonator: Blackpool Pier 19. You Love Us 20. Stay Beautiful 21. If You Tolerate This... 22. A Design For Life So its a very greatest hits based setlist. Which is fair enough, becuase they have so many. And every song is amazing.

Production Quality — 7
There's no particular effects of anything strnage which they can really boast about. there's a few hues and crops which are nice but nothing amaizng. However there's obviously a lot of cameras and some great angles. Also on 'Faster' they decide to flash up a few words at the bootom of the screen (idiot, architect) and I really don't see the point becuase it's done in an incredibly amaturish way. But it's hardly much to complain about. Maybe they wanted that affect. The picture quality is also perfect really, which mathches the sound.

Definetly the best music DVD I own. Just blows me away completely. The best thing is definetly the live performance, the extras are a nice bonus but I would pay the same price even if it didn't have them. If it was nicked I would go buy again definetly. I already lost it once for about a month and was thinking about going to buy it again before I realised I'd leant it to a mate. Amazing, absolutly amazing.

TJ1991
    I love this DVD, properly amazing, and the setlist is the best it could have been, not one song that shouldnt be there. The thing that annoys me is how the lyrics are totally wrong in the subtitles, but that's no biggy cos I know them anyway. About Faster, the words come up like that because, as far as I remember, it does that in the original music video. Fair review for an awesome DVD.
    cabbaman98
    Yeh in faster they do do that in the video. I think it just looks tacky tho. No biggy, its still amaizng.