Lifeblood Review

Manic Street Preachers: Lifeblood
Released: Dec 21, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Britpop
Gliding by on smooth surfaces of synthesizers and lightly sequenced beats, Lifeblood is simpler and hookier than the lumbering Know Your Enemy, which is a relative blessing: it results in a record that's easier to enjoy.
 9.3
 9.6
Lifeblood Reviewed by: bassman182, on march 12, 2005

Sound: So after a three year break, the Welsh rockers are back with a sound style that slightly differs from their usual style. They borrow a keyboardist for this album, and it brings a cooler effect to the rock music in which they usualy play. It's a change, but not a bad one by all means. The Album starts off with a bang in '1985' which is a really cool, well executed rock song. The next song 'The Love Of Richard Nixon' is also a fantastic rock song with great lyrics and an upbeat tune to it. It also enterd as number 4 in the British charts, and builds up a positive start to this album. 'Empty Souls' of course a smash number 2 hit here in the UK and arguably the best song on the album. The stand out song must be 'Cardiff Afterlife' right at the end of the 12 track album. The sounds is produced well on 'Lifeblood' with a new and different sounding form their old rock songs. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are based on issues which the Manics feel strongly about like in all their other albums. Some songs have rather complex lyrics such as in 1985 they say "somebodys dead like Neitzsche said", point? However lyrics are played rather clever. In Empty Souls "collapsing like the twin towers" and "the love of Richard Nixon death without assasination", very clever! Overall though, the lyrics are played very well and always relate to the songs very well. Obviously Nicky has though about what he's doing with the lyrics and they are of a much better outcome to those sung in the Manics' last outfit 'Know Your Enemy'. // 8

Overall Impression: I think 'Lifeblood' is a unique album in its own right. The sound is still Manics with something new and the lyrics combine well with the sound to produce new faces on James, Nicky, and Sean. The keyboard brings new life into them and and is a positive change by all means. The most impressive songs are '1985', 'The Love Of Richard Nixon', 'Empty Souls', and the best song last but not least 'Cardiff Afterlife'. Things I love about it are the new Keyboard, Lyrics and Singing. James' vocals are yet again crisp and clear with excellent power and flair in. The only thing I have against it is it's too short. A great album in my eyes must be 50 minutes+. This is a bare maximum of only 45 minutes. I feel they could have put one or two more songs on there as 12 tracks were just not enough. Also there are one or two weaklings in there such as 'I live To Fall Asleep' and 'Fragments'. Ovrall though it is a good top, top album and one which a Manics or brit rock fan will enjoy all the more! // 8

Lifeblood Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 22, 2006

Sound: And after three years of waiting, the fans got surprised with "Lifeblood!" The Manic Street Preachers changed their sound, attitude and look after dealing with the departure of Richey James. I can't say if it's good or bad, I think they're just different. The album starts with "1985," a semi-anthemic rock tune with some keyboard effects that make the song sound brilliantly. After this song, the album gets more complex, but all the songs are great! My fav song is, without a doubt "Glasnost." I love the guitar effects and the vocals there. "I Live To Fall Asleep" is another tune that brings a different touch to the album (especially because of the beautiful piano riff). The funniest thing in all of this is that all along the years, the Manics have been trying to bring something fresh to the table, and despite of their age as a band, they always accomplish that mission. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are maybe the strongest point in the Manics. Thay can talk about politics, love, memories, society and relationships without falling out of line or becoming lame! That's something special and usually people don't see that in their songs, which is sad, but true. James Dean Bradfield is really one of a kind. His sing and guitar abilities are perfect. Every word he sings is filled with emotion and expression(something hard to find nowadays). Nicky writes most of the lyrics, so I guess he deserves a lot of credit too! He's the guy behind their first years of music and a great musician too. Though, his lyrics are hard to sing. // 10

Overall Impression: There's no other band that I can compare to the Manic Street Preachers (first because I hate when people try to get aspects of similarity in different bands just to bash them; second because they're a breeze of fresh air in Britpop). If the album was lost or stolen, I would buy it again for sure! // 10

Comments