Masterpiece Theatre review by Marianas Trench

• Released: Feb 24, 2009
Marianas Trench: Masterpiece Theatre

I must say, I was a little shocked at how well crafted this album is at first. The sophomore major label release by these Canadian pop-punkers results in somewhat of a concept album. Masterpiece Theatre captures the essence of a night at the theatre, utilizing every tool at the band's disposal such as incredible harmonies, a wide arrangement of musical instruments, and heart-wrenching emotion. The album begins with part one of the three piece song "Masterpiece Theatre" which begins with an unexpected sound resembling that of a well constructed musical theatre presentation. It's a solid song altogether despite being a mere mood-piece to the album. Next up is the relatively catchy tune "All to Myself". It's a solid song to start off the whole of the album and gives a fun vibe which remains throughout the majority of the album. The first heavy hitter of the album start on track 3 with the first single, "Cross my Heart". With a seemingly timeless pop-punk guitar riff and an extremely catchy hook, the song is solid as is. The final 4 choruses are completed by a strong harmony of the backing vocal and a unique but enjoyable acapella ending. After a strong track such as "Cross my Heart," it seems likely to drop in quality by the next song, but "Beside you" proves to be one of, if not, the best songs written in the band's career. With a background hook which could have been on Disney's "Lion King". The song as a whole is incredibly powerful and emotionally charged enough to give even the most heartless person chills. The remainder of the album is solid all the way through until the final song, Masterpiece Theatre III. Masterpiece Theatre III is a strong song which recycles many melodies in a different way which fit's together in a single song much like how certain musicals include megamixes and final medleys at the end of a show. It's interesting to watch how you can spot each song and enjoy the new versions as if they were new songs altogether.

Lyrically, the album could be identical to most other pop-punk acts and stands out very little. This however is greatly conpensated for by the incredible voices from the entire band. Lead singer Josh Ramsey has a range which could easily be owned by an actual broadway performer. However, Ramsey is not the only strong voice in the band which is a breath of fresh air. The rest of the band adds their vocal talents in powerful harmonies for songs like "Cross my Heart", "Beside You," and "Masterpiece Theatre". The band is incredibly intelligent without question when it comes to terms of harmonizing. Despite my own personal beliefs, Masterpiece Theatre proves that you don't necessarily need the most world changing lyrics if you have a powerful, emotional, well ranged voice to make a good song.

In terms of concept, the album fit's the mould very well as if it were an actual Theatre performance. And although musical theatre is not the most appealing type of music to Marianas Trench's core fanbase, the band pulls it off in a way that makes it listenable by almost anyone. The overall impression left upon me when finished the album was that these guys are incredibly good at writing songs for the style they intend. And though they are primarily only large in Canada currently, my guess is that if they continue to apply this skill in other concepts, they will be a band to watch for and may take the rest of the world by storm. Overall, I find this album to have no real filler. Certainly some songs are stronger than others but I could imagine every song being great for a live setting. Standout tracks: Cross my Heart, Beside You, Acadia, Celebrity Status, Masterpiece Theatre III.

Chesser19
    Loved this album. One of the best albums, if not THE best album I have heard in the past couple of years. They did a tremendous job on this one and hopefully they keep this up with the next one. =D