Antichrist Superstar review by Marilyn Manson

• Released: Oct 8, 1996
Marilyn Manson: Antichrist Superstar

Musically, the sound is rather weird, from the odd sounding guitar in "Minute of Decay" to the keyboard in "Cryptorchid". It's very good, if not a bit creepy. Some of the songs do sound a bit flat though, such as "Dried Up, Tied and Dead to the World" and "Angel with the Scabbed Wings" (the latter, however, sounds fantastic when played live). The rest of the songs more than make up for those that do sound weak.

The lyrics are mainly religious in nature, though not strictly in the Satanic sense. They are also very poetic at times. Even so, they don't always rhyme, which is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. Manson also isn't the best singer in this album, though the quality of his voice varies from song to song. "Tourniquet" is for me the high point vocally for him, while "Kinderfeld" is the low point.

Though not Manson's best work (that distiction belongs to "Mechanical Animals"), "Antichrist Superstar" is a very good album. It's very dark in nature, so it's not for everyone. Those who can stomach it's darkness will be rewarded greatly. Even though "The Beautiful People", "Tourniquet", and "The Reflecting God" are the most famous songs from the album (perhaps rightfully), my personal favorites are "Wormboy", "Minute of Decay", and "Man That You Fear". If I were to lose this album, I would buy it again undoubtedly.