Born Villain review by Marilyn Manson

• Released: May 1, 2012
Marilyn Manson: Born Villain

This album is innovative and unique. The sound is more like classic Manson and takes me back to "Portrait Of An American Family". The style varies from song to song and just when you think you know where the album is going, it changes direction. The album overall is impressive and rekindled my flame for Manson after it was doused a little by "Eat Me, Drink Me", soon to be only half-way revived with "The High End Of Low".

The lyrics are Manson style riddles and word-play. "Overneath The Path Of Misery" quotes lines from "Macbeth". Manson's voice is matured but still strong. Not as much of a vocal range as displayed in previous albums. The lyrics range from serious and dark to silly and neurotic.

This album is on my top three of Manson albums, along with "Golden Age Of Grotesque" and "Portrait Of An American Family". Manson brings something a little different to all of his albums and this one is modern and edgy, but not overly in-your-face lyrically or musically. It is not a super heavy album. The songs that will quickly get stuck in your head are "Born Villain", "Pistol Whipped" and "Overneath The Path Of Misery". There aren't any songs that I would skip over, the album is a great listen all the way through. Manson displays his aging descent into the world of rock by creating an album that is accompanied by visually stunning videos and a sound that any true Manson fan will appreciate. All-in all he shows that he still has it, but somehow he is just not that guy with the long black hair and striped leggings that we embraced during the "Portrait Of An American Family" era. This album shows traces that he is still in there somewhere, older and more defined. If this album was stolen I would replace it ASAP and then break someone's fingers.

BuriedAlive7x
    This album is actually better than...The High End of Low, Eat Me, Drink Me, and The Golden Age of Grotesque.
    l0ld4v3
    Info on the band and producer would be helpful. Ya'll know (if yous a Mansonite) that the real music was laid down by Twiggy, Madonna, Daisy and Zim Zum right? The John 5 records are somewhat lacking that band chemistry. Manson is about the whole theatrical and aesthetics of the band.
    swave75
    Hmmm....I kind of agree with this but still I did like John 5. I don't think the albums were bad with him on it but they were not as good as the ones with Zim Zum or Dasiy. But after not only after John 5 but also Gacy things went astay for sure. I hated it when Madonna Wayne Gacy left.
    Harleyrider73
    I'm curious on the cover of Your so Vain because Faster Pussycat did a remake of it and the song was pretty good. There are a couple of MM songs that ware pretty good and some well let's say he could have tried harder.
    DaniArrow
    I don't think it's a good album. He can't seem to put out records as good as AC or MA anymore. Last one I really liked was GAOG.
    zhongwen
    his evolution revived shockrock since White Zombie and Alice Cooper became more underground. www.louisvuittonend.com
    luxurygoodstore
    And musically it was simply less than "The Golden Age of Grotesque", which in itself lacked musically. On "The High End of Low" the downhill continued. In all albums there are good moments, even great ones, but they are just too few to lift the albums anywhere close to the quality of "Antichrist Superstar", "Mechanical Animals" and "Holy Wood". Even though "Born Villain" is definitely a step in the right direction, it is simply lacking musically. http://www.luxurygoodstore.com