Eat Me, Drink Me review by Marilyn Manson

• Released: Jun 5, 2007
Marilyn Manson: Eat Me, Drink Me

We're all pretty used to Marilyn Manson's obsession with the darker side of life, but his latest record Eat Me, Drink Me goes in a bit of different direction -- love, or at least Manson's version of love. There aren't any typical ballads on the new album, but many of the songs revolve more around sex, lust, and love than anything else. The song tempos reflect the themes, so you're in for a mellower Manson for the most part.

Of course, Manson always loves to push the envelope in whatever he does, and his love songs absolutely keep to that tradition. The opening track If I Was Your Vampire doesn't start out with a high-energy beat, instead taking a slithering, sexual approach. It's actually a great song and sets a chilling mood for the album. There is a distinctive cut in the creepy synthesizers that Manson used in past Manson songs, but it is just as effective with just Manson's voice and one guitar. Listeners are even treated to a bit of falsetto from Manson, which takes the song in an unexpected yet cool direction.

Are You The Rabbit is another memorable track on the CD, with an excellent, slow-grooving guitar intro that makes for an all-around great rock song. Manson doesn't need to add any scary lyrical overtones because the guitar itself has an ominous, old school Danzig feel. The tempo goes up and down depending on the section of the song, and it keeps things interesting, with Manson even showing off his range a bit more. It's one of the few songs on the record that feels like a straight-out rock song, and the pinnacles comes at the end when guitarist Tim Skold delivers an amazing solo.

There is nothing that really approaching the evil sound of Beautiful People on Eat Me, Drink Me, so some previous fans might not like the slower, sensual side of Manson. A few songs like They Said Hell's Not Hot are slightly disappointing because they don't live up their lurid titles. There is definitely a cut in the synth work, and that is one part of Manson's earlier work that will be missed.

Manson always does his best to make his lyrics a bit scandalous, and the latest album still reflects that for the most part. The track If I Was Your Vampire is a prime example, particularly because it's mixed with his other favorite new topic: love/infatuation. He sings, You press the knife; Against your heart; And say, 'I love you, so much you must kill me now.' Manson wrote the lyrics in a chronological fashion, and hearing how the story evolves does make it an interesting listen.

Evidence explores the sexual side once again, and Manson is a little more explicit this time. He sings, You're so sudden and sweet; All legs, knuckle, knees; Head's blown clean off; Your mouth's paid off; f--k me 'til we know it's unsafe. Some listeners will be offended, but at this point in his career it might seem like a letdown not to have a few songs like that on a Manson album.

Probably the most apparent difference in the new material is the lack of synth work. Manson obviously doesn't feel like he needs extra effects to create an eerie sound anymore, particularly when the topics of many of his songs revolve more around sex. It was definitely the shock rock that lured many of his fans to him back in the '90s, so the toned-down Manson might be somewhat disappointing for those people.

What is great about Eat Me, Drink Me is Manson's ability to still write a solid song. A few songs get stuck in a musical rut at times and don't go anywhere, but then there are songs like You And Me And The Devil Make Three. The track has a slight industrial feel at times, but it's actually the cool bass and very subtle synth lines that carry the song. Manson is impressive as a songwriter, and he was probably wise to toss aside the scarier side of his persona to show off the stripped-down side of his music.

Geekis_Khan
    No two Marilyn Manson albums sound alike, if you haven't noticed. They're all very different. It would be extremely unlike Marilyn Manson to not "redefine" their sound.
    you did WHAT?!
    This is an incredible album. Its not the same as the old Manson, but I'd say this album is equally as good. I think I like where this band is headed.
    blasphemus666
    i dont know if i should buy the album kuz i was pretty dissapointed with If I Was Your Vampire. i wish he made another album like Holy Wood.
    Miss Murder
    I totally agree his songs have taken a more sexual atmosphere now, but his new album is friggan awesome! I especially love the songs "Red Carpet Grave" and "Putting Holes In Happiness". I have always loved MM, and I always will, there's just something about him, and his music that is completely irresistible!
    nin_freak92
    guitar work on this album as far as melodies and whatnot is pretty good, although it's missing what heavy side manson had, such as what was in "mOBSCENE" and "Disposable Teens" and so forth, but it's still great. The guitars are mainly a clean, crunchy kind of sound. And the solos are awesome, i don't understand why John 5 never tried to write some solos for songs since he did co-write most of the songs with manson and jeordie. I'll pick it up when i get the chance just cuz manson is one of my favs, but i'd probably give it somewhere around a 6 or 7 out of 10. Because personally i think it could have been tons better, even though its already a worthy album. And i kind of agree with blasphemus666, Holy Wood was a great album and captured the heavy side of manson as well as the soft and acoustic, and was a great album. And he can still "redefine" his sound with having that same kind of texture to the album.
    D&DLover
    Missing the heavier old manson...but loving the new CD. Still dark and strange...like always
    ADarkerBreed
    It's Marilyn Manson, no denying but it is not the Marilyn Manson we know he went from trying to be creepy and dark and got a few people to believe it. Now he seems to try to be a bit less "flashy" while he seems to be keeping himself out of headlines and the like he has also seemed to toned down his music. Though I don't think the change is "bad" it doesn't have what I had liked about his old music.
    ToyPJs
    Jaguar17 wrote: blackcatz wrote: Is it just me, or every band nowadays think they need to "redefine" their sound? Nowadays? dude, every band refines their sound as their career progresses. It's not a new thing. I'd say if anything, there are more bands getting stuck in a rut and their albums sound too much the same. I have yet to check out his album, but I hear great reviews on it. Although, heart Shaped glasses, really puts me in no hurry to pick it up.
    This dude is right on the money! Most bands are in a rut like he said they can't get out of this screamo shit. Untill music can get out of the process I don't think your looking at any good new bands to come up. Everyone else is selling out to pop which is the same shit over and over again that nobody likes because it gets overplayed to much. So once we get out of this screamo and pop progression then I think the music industry will get better. Otherwise, it's going to remain the same and rock isn't going to get anywhere.
    ShanZE
    Geekis_Khan
    ShanZE wrote: a good album but i think it's a bit too soft and skold shouldn't play guitar. there's no balls in the guitar sounds on this record [except for are you the rabbit]. there's a few good solos but there's too many of them and some of them blow, and i've read that he isn't even able to play those solos onstage. But i like him in some way, so maybe he should just start playing bass again while manson should get someone else to play guitar...
    Actually, to the best of my knowledge, he is the live bassist, a lot in the same way that Twiggy did a loit of the guitar work on "Antichrist Superstar" and "Mechanical Animals", but he still played bass live. And to the guy that said John 5 didn't do solos in MansoP: That's not true. "Astonishing Panorama of the End Times", "President Dead", and "Para-Noir" all have guitar solos. Although it is true that this album has a much heavier concetration of guitar solos than any other Marilyn Manson album. And for the record, here's my opinion on the records: ACSS = HW > MA = EMDM > GAOG = POAAF "Are You The Rabbit?" and "Evidence are easily the two best songs on EMDM.
    not_dead_enough
    Geekis_Khan
    not_dead_enough wrote: No Tim Skold has become the live guitarist. Rob Holliday is the new live bass player.
    Learn something new everyday.
    mmanson
    not_dead_enough wrote: Geekis_Khan wrote: Actually, to the best of my knowledge, he is the live bassist, a lot in the same way that Twiggy did a loit of the guitar work on "Antichrist Superstar" and "Mechanical Animals", but he still played bass live. No Tim Skold has become the live guitarist. Rob Holliday is the new live bass player. In regard to Manson solos, I know often pogo would play them on the keytar while John 5/Berkowitz/Zum would play rhythum (an obvious exception to this is Astonighing Panorama, John 5 did play the solo live in that song). I hope Tim Skold DOES play these solos live. What I think would make Marilyn Manson the perfect band would be to go to a 2-guitar arrangement (similar to Rammstein). These days Marilyn Manson is almost like NiN in terms of band members so he could just recruit another guitarist ad-hoc quite possibly.
    nah manson doesnt need two guitarists. 1 is enough for any band. u dont need two guitarists for a band esp for manson. i like the way everything goes together in manson. i hate bands where ppl act like its all about guitar.
    Jaguar17
    Korzack
    pkweon wrote: especially Tim Scold added lots of solo on this album.
    Hehe well that answers my question of 'Who's Manson got to replace John 5'
    catchtherainbow
    well,the album is good..just that it lacks the thick synth and dirty sounds that Marilyn always makes me feel...Marilyn Manson songs should be dirty and not clean cut...but yeah,good album.. a 7 point if I can judge.
    loler
    first comment WOO! I think his new album is great but its taken a different direction to all his previous albums I agree that that the lack of syth has hurt this album a bit. When i first listened to it I was like OMG WHAT SHITE! then it grew on me...
    Rize
    eh, i used to be into manson. i haven't listened to his stuff since..... i dunno.
    Rebourne
    It seems very average to me, maybe I'm not getting the new approach but it seems very mundane when compared to his previous works.
    angerisagift03
    Aidy Damage : Absolutely stellar album. Evidence is by far the best track.
    yeah definately. Evidence and Putting holes in happiness are great treacks.
    blackcatz
    pkweon
    less focused on industiral and synth but It sounds pretty good.
    Tallywacker
    hmmmm...nifty. Manson has always been a bit on the dark and scary side.Though the new album is still dark, it envolves love something he said "i can never feel again" I guess that 19 year old worked wonders. as always i expect some kick ass videos from him
    skindred
    Shabalaba wrote: I really dont like tis new song, don't try to convert me to liking i just don't like it
    you judge a whole album from one song? you shouldnt, be allowed to listen to music. getting mansons album now, will comment when ive heard it first time.
    Lauke_101
    right now I'm listening through it for the first time. the guitar solo on putting holes in happines is cool... but I really miss the way he used to refer to all sorts of other stuff, from the bible to Nazi degenerate art and so on.... I really dug that a lot. And I do miss the synth and heavy drum/guitar sounds too. It's a very good record though, just not a very good Manson record I reckon.
    not_dead_enough
    It takes some adjusting to, definitely an album that requires more than one listen. But all-in-all a fantastic album, I know now that Manson will never let us down. It's softer, more raw and more melodic, but its great. Manson has refreshed his sound on this album as always. Songs like Putting Holes in Happiness and They Said Hells Not Hot show a creative new side, where songs like You And Me And The Devil Makes 3 are classic Marilyn Manson. And i'm loving the guitar solos!! Tim Skold is a decent guitarist. Manson has not let us down (nor has he ever), and I look forward to seeing the band on the road (please come down under)! BTW Thanks (whoever is responsible) for releasing the album early in Australia. I remember we got Golden Age like a week late or something.
    KnarkoV
    i really miss the old manson. the lack of synth really changes the whole think. as someone mentioned, all manson albums are diffrent, but this isn't just diffrent. this album lacks something that says "manson", but i cant put my finger on it. Manson shouldnt just be dark, he should be dark and weird.
    Vampyre_Punk
    Ok, I'm a huge manson fan, and I've just started listening to this, and I'd have to agree with not_dead_enough, Manson has not, and WILL NOT EVER LET US DOWN! All in all, a great album, 10/10
    HailToTheManson
    eh I disagree with u there, i'm really likin this new direction for manson, give it a while...sure it will grow on u.
    Filthy Maggot
    loler wrote: When i first listened to it I was like OMG WHAT SHITE! then it grew on me...
    Thats exacly the sam as me man, i like it now oblivously not as good as the classics from antichrist superstar and Golden age of G but its still none the less a great album
    Shabalaba
    jfsj123
    i heard single heart shaped glasses and the guitars are realy melodic but dont actually like the vocals on that song. u me n devil makes 3 isgood and manson of old. Nowhere near as good as his previos record. with my post i dont mean to hurt manson fans. its just my opinion