Eat Me, Drink Me review by Marilyn Manson

logo Ultimate Guitar
  • Released: Jun 5, 2007
  • Sound: 9
  • Lyrics: 8
  • Overall Impression: 7
  • Reviewer's score: 8 Superb
  • Users' score: 8 (202 votes)
Marilyn Manson: Eat Me, Drink Me
0

Sound — 9
This is about a romance, maybe concept, album. It might be because of his affair, divorce, and new girlfriend. But Manson was been recorded to quote, "I don't want people to think that the record is some kind of exploitation of my personal life." But there seems to be some parallels. The starting track "If I was your Vampire," sends a chilling signal about the concept of the album, and is what most people would want from Manson, the Antichrist Superstar. But the album takes a different turn, during the rest of the album, putting a more mellow, sincere mood to the album. On "The Red Carpet Grave" and "They said hell'd not hot," a western feel can be heard through guitarist, Tim Skold. Skold has put a lot more thought out in making this record, comparing to the "chords and riff" of past songs. He is even heard to solo in several songs. The sin side of sex is very noticeable, in "Are You the Rabbit?" and "You and Me and the Devil makes 3." Even "Heart-shaped Glasses" has a sexy, playboy feel to it. But the last track, "Eat Me, Drink Me," bring the album back where it started, with a dark, tragic, fantasy sound.

Lyrics — 8
The lyrics can be disturbing and offensive to some listeners, but hard-core Manson fans should be okay with it. "Murdercute, happyrape, murdercute, happy, happy, happyrape, Killer," ("You and me and the Devil makes 3") is not what many people like to hear, but this is defiantly pure Manson. He is very open with everyone here, not afraid at all to admit his weaknesses and sins. "And we'll paint Over the evidence, I want your pain, To taste why you're ashamed, And I know you're not just what you say to me." ("Evidence") This seems to be deep and have a story behind it, something I've been wanting to here him say. The album parallels "Alice in Wonderland" as well. First off, the album is named, "Eat Me, Drink Me" which are written on the food that makes your grow or shrink. And the song, "Eat Me, Drink Me," has numerous references to the fantasy. The "Red Queen" is of course the Queen of Hearts, and the lines, "The trees in the courtyard Are painted in blood, So I've heard. She hangs the headless Upside down to drain." are about when the soldiers are executed for "painting the roses red" on the trees, when they were white. Isn't Manson still going to make the movie about C.S. Lewis?

Overall Impression — 7
This record has a different note than the ancestor albums. Manson doesn't have the same adolescent theme, "f-ck you, you don't control me," like the other albums have conveyed. The theme of sex is still there, but still in a different maturer form. I love the fact there is more guitar, cause the the riffs and stuff are a major influence on what I like. I am glad Skold did a good job on writing the songs. But I like Marilyn Manson to be a little more in my face, instead of "humming tragic tails in the back." The aggression is what I like, but the lyrics are better than past works.

30 comments sorted by best / new / date

    ADHD
    not his best album. i usually like his cool mellow stuff but i think this album was to soft for him.
    thegothichitman
    I was a longtime Manson fan and I purchased this album, expecting a Marilyn Manson sound - whether that be the early raw stuff, or more than likely I thought (Hoped) a return to the Antichrist Superstar or Mechanical Animals sound but what did I get? It sounds like Bon Jovi without the heavy guitars or good lyrics, hell without a good song. It is dark, another word to use would be boring. Sad, very sad Manson, the album sucks. Beg Twiggy and Trent to help you with the album next time as especially the music direction, whoever was responsible was just terrible. I'm sorry to say it, but the best thing on the album was the trance remix for Heart Shaped Glasses and coming from a rock fan, that surely isn't a good thing.
    slayerkills
    err... uhhh.... what am i trying to say... lemme see... ahhh... oh yeah, FUCK MANSON!
    Kinderfeld
    I like it. Its certainly different from his past work, but its still a very good album. 8.5/10. Though I'd like to see another album like HolyWood.
    vamprocker
    it was slower than than his other stuff but still rocks\,,/i bought it the day after it came out
    JY-Rasputin
    I really like this album, might be because I'm not the biggest fan, but it has a real nice depressed sound, wich I dig in music. Most of the times I like albums that differ from the bands main style more than other albums by that artist.
    W.h.o.r.EGuitar
    Geekis_Khan wrote: No two Marilyn Manson albums sound alike, if you haven't noticed. They're all very different. It would be extremely unlike Marilyn Manson to not "redefine" their sound.
    mtrev009
    Finally Manson got rid of the synths. Now everybody gets to hear what he really sounds like with real music and without all the cheap computer effects. And I enjoyed the album to the fullest. Great CD. I like his new style. Very original and its still manson.
    Geek_Aus
    gothboy666 wrote: my chemical romance rule and he should stop being so against them he is a really arrogant guy
    I'm a fan of my chem, but I personally don't give a shit that he's against them. It's the music that matters. I just bought Eat Me, Drink Me and I love it. I saw Manson live on the 13th of this month and it was fantastic; lights, projections, smoke machines, lots of energy and the music was amazing.
    not_dead_enough
    Nhex (PT) wrote: I dont understand why people compare new albuns to old albuns in a band career new albuns are new because they have new things duhhh
    True that. Tell that to all the Metallica bitchers who still can't stop rambling about St. Anger (which BTW is a great album). Anyway Eat Me, Drink Me still continues to grow on me with each listen.
    blindman-07
    this album is just love metal.putting holes in happines and heart shapped glasses are the only good songs on the album.putting holes is basicaly just tim skold trying to be cool.
    DOPPELHERZ
    THIS ALBUM'S HIS MASTERPIECE!THESE SONGS ARE BEAUTIFUL!THESE SONGS ARE VERY DEEP,AND VERY PASSIONATE!THESE SONGS ARE "NOW" BUT THEY ALSO GO BACK IN TIME IN A CERTAIN ERA.IF YOU RELAX AND LISTEN TO IT-YOU'LL SEE WHAT I MEAN.I HAVE ALL HIS MAIN ALBUMS,AND I HAVE TO SAY THAT THIS IS HIS BEST ONE-AND MY FAVORITE ONE.ALOT OF HIS SONGS ON THIS ALBUM TOUCHED MY SOUL VERY STRONGLY.THE INSTRUMENTS,THE MELODIES,HIS WORDS,AND THE TONES OF HIS VOICE HE USES IN HIS SONGS-YOU YOURSELF CAN FEEL HIS DIFFERENT EMOTIONS THAT HE'S FEELING.MY 3 FAVORITE SONGS ARE:1)YOU AND ME AND THE DEVIL MAKES 3.IT'S HYPNOTIC,AND IT'S THE WAY THINGS ARE.2)EVIDENCE.IT'S RITUALISTIC WITH THE RELATIONSHIP BASED ON SEX ONLY.3)IF I WAS YOUR VAMPIRE.IT'S A DEEP,AND OBSESSIVE SINCERE LOVE STORY THAT WILL NEVER END-NOT EVEN IN DEATH.EVEN IN DEATH THEY'RE KEEPING EACH OTHER ALIVE.DEFINITELY GET THIS ALBUM!YOU'LL BE MISSING OUT ON SOMETHING SPECIAL IF YOU DON'T!MANSON TRULY IS A SPECIAL PERSON,AND HE REALLY SHOULD BE APPRECIATED!
    not_dead_enough
    To add to all this...recently I met a girl that I fell for very quickly. It was the happiest time of my life. Thing is there were factors that would make it not work, and I had to end it (which was among the most difficult decisions I have ever had to make). I was crushed and so was she, and I had never felt so bad. A week later we spoke, smoothed things out and later she tried to take her own life (for a number of reasons). Needless to say the whole experience was an emotional rollercoaster. I did not completely understand this album until I went through all of that. All you young people knocking this album probably haven't experienced a true relationship yet.
    JMV666
    MetalBassist93 wrote: his older styles were better, but that's just me
    hey, ur not alone, his new stuff SUX. its too.....emo-y and whiny. he needs 2 do wut he did 2 make all the music from 1989-1999 good, his early stuff is the best. but thts only my opinion on how new music sux, kinda like KoRn's new stuff sux.....
    gothboy666
    my chemical romance rule and he should stop being so against them he is a really arrogant guy
    skinar
    it s a guy named tim skold that does the guitars. i have to buy this album. im not a massive manson fan... but im a massive guitar fan
    MansonzMaggot
    slayerkills : err... uhhh.... what am i trying to say... lemme see... ahhh... oh yeah, FUCK MANSON! That is disgraceful. You should respect everybodies point of view on music, and respect it. I dont listen to opera, but i respect the people who do and i dont bash on their music. Furthermore, we arent talking about manson himself. We are here reviewing an album, yes its by manson, but we are reviewing his album, not him. So if you dont have anything to say about the album IN RESPECT to everyones point of view. Thats all i have to say about that. Now in review of this album. I have one word. Bingo. I love all of manson's work. This album reveals a side of manson that hadnt been exposed before in any of his albums. You cant say "Oh i hate this, its so different than n e thing hes ever done before." Yes, the way he presents this album is different. But as soon as you hear it, the first thing you think is "Hell yeah. Thats Manson." He maintains a presence in his albums that reamins the same throughout all of them, yet changing the way he presents his albums each time. If an artist decided to make every album he put out exactly the same, it would get boring. In conclusion, well done manson, another well written album. Pyro
    not_dead_enough
    EmancipatedSoul wrote: mmanson wrote: nah manson doesnt need two guitarists. 1 is enough for any band. u dont need two guitarists for a band esp for manson. i like the way everything goes together in manson. i hate bands where ppl act like its all about guitar. I agree, one guitar is enough for any good band, in fact a lot of good bands have only one guitarist. And many that have two guitarists create songs that are filled with five minute solos and etc. A lot of the time anyway, and it becomes repetitive.
    So you guys would hate the new GnR then...a 3 guitarist band! Haha
    EmancipatedSoul wrote: The lyrics, Manson has a certain style no one can re-create. He certainly is amazing in my view. I love this album, i cannot say it is better or worse than any other Manson Album because they are all different, and in my view, all brilliant. He will NEVER let us fans down.
    All of that is spot on...very well said.
    EmancipatedSoul
    slayerkills wrote: err... uhhh.... what am i trying to say... lemme see... ahhh... oh yeah, FUCK MANSON!
    If you have nothing intelligent to say, then just keep quite.
    mmanson wrote: nah manson doesnt need two guitarists. 1 is enough for any band. u dont need two guitarists for a band esp for manson. i like the way everything goes together in manson. i hate bands where ppl act like its all about guitar.
    I agree, one guitar is enough for any good band, in fact a lot of good bands have only one guitarist. And many that have two guitarists create songs that are filled with five minute solos and etc. A lot of the time anyway, and it becomes repetitive. Especially for Manson, since his Music is orientated around lyrics and being Catchy, whether It is a good riff or a bad one, if its Catchy, its Manson. The lyrics, Manson has a certain style no one can re-create. He certainly is amazing in my view. I love this album, i cannot say it is better or worse than any other Manson Album because they are all different, and in my view, all brilliant. He will NEVER let us fans down.
    rednightmare
    It really ticks me off when people complain new things don't sound like old things. Do you really think Manson is gonna just rework an old album? No! He's gonna push his own boundaries and do someting new and different. If you wanna listen to Holywood or Antichrist again go listen to it, don't expect a new album to sound like an old one.
    Nhex (PT)
    I dont understand why people compare new albuns to old albuns in a band career new albuns are new because they have new things duhhh