Holy Wood (In the Shadow of the Valley of Death) review by Marilyn Manson

• Released: Nov 11, 2000
Marilyn Manson: Holy Wood (In the Shadow of the Valley of Death)

I really love the guitar sound in this album and how it ties in with everything else. I really am outstanded at how he blended the special effects from M.W. Gacy with the talented guitar from John5. I also need to give my favorite bassist, Twiggy Ramirez. He is extreamly talented.

My overall impression of these lyrics was, great! I like the way that Marilyn Manson can really say something and make it sound good. Most of this album is about outcast teens and being depressed and also about sucide. The guitars have a depressing effect on you in "Coma Black: Eden Eye/The Apple of Discord", "The Fall of Adam", "Lamb of God", and "The Nobodies" so it is only fitting that the lyrics are depressing too. In songs such as "Disposable Teens", "The Love Song", and "Burning Flag" have a heavy industrial rock sound, they have a lot more energy and are faster songs than most on this cd, but the lyrics are mostly killing, suicide, and other depressing things. Marilyn Manson uses digital effects to warp his voice, but he also uses his natural voice talents. Overall he is extreamly good for the faster songs, and also the slow depressing songs such as "The Lamb of God".

This album is not Marilyn Manson's best but it is in my personal "Top 3", along with "Anti-Christ Superstar", and "Mechanical Animals". I really like how he blends "Anti-Christ Superstar", and "Mechanical Animals" to make one of the best albums ever. I would advise anyone to buy it.